Ovarian Cancer Community

doctor called today..unsure what to do!

I have bilateral cysts/nodules the gyn has been watching since April 2006. The last u/s showed a slight increase of both and calling them "hypoechoic solid lesion and a solid nodule"
The ca-125 went down from 41 to 25 but the doctor said even though that is reassuring it is not for diagnosing.
He said I could either be conservative and wait 6 weeks for another trans u/s or he could remove both ovarian lesions along with the ovaries (i am 48 yr).  He said he is not worried about them, but it was up to me. I asked his opinion and he said he advises waiting 6 weeks and getting a repeat u/s.
I told him I would wait 6 weeks for another u/s .
I was surprised that he said when and if surgery happens, it will be removal of the ovaries. Which opens a whole new bunch of questions for me. I am thinking that the doctor feels with my age, it is best to just remove them to avoid cancer risk later. I don't know if I should wait 6 weeks. He said the lesions are small (2.4 x 2.3 x 2.2 cm for one) and (2.2 x 1.5 x 1.9 cm for the left ovary)
Is it better to just get the ovaries out now since I will be going through menopause in the next year or two???
I'm afraid of hormone replacement too, but that is something I would have to face in 3-5 yrs anyway. I was thinking about looking into bio-identical.
I also have a fibroid on my uterus that is 1.2 cm, grown since last u/s. Should I get the uterus removed as well.
ANy info or similar experiences out there?
Why don't guys have to go through all this decison making as they get older!!!!???
At 47,I was dx with ovca. For 20years I had fibroids on my uterus and cysts on my ovaries. I also had many U/S done.The fibroids were getting bigger and I was not feeling well so we started to dicuss doing a hysterctomy. the last U/S showed a mass and it was cancer. I have 3 grown children, 25,23 and 19. For 2 years my dr and I talked about a hystrectomy.I wish I would have done it then. I know it's major surgery,and you have to deal with menopause and hot flashes but I might have caught it before the cancer.Just something to think about. Also,many women have hysterectomys for reasons other then cancer.
I think since the cyst is complicated, and the radiologist is calling it a "nodule",  the gyn dr might feel removing the ovaries would be the best thing to do.
My sister is 49 and is starting menopause symptoms, so I am not far behind. Maybe removing the ovaries will be the best thing to do since I will start menopause soon.
I am always getting cysts.
While synthetic hormone replacement has been shown to cause cancer, this cannot be said for bioidenticals.
~Tascha
If you don't mind me asking, I'd just like to know if you had OVCA and what stage you were dx at.
I ageee with pamnyc. I'm pretty new to this site so I'm not familiar with those who have actually had OVCA. Ne'chee what stage of cancer were you dx at? I was stage 3cand In also have a family history of breast cancer, fibroids and cysts. If I could have maybe prevented the cancer by getting a hysterectomy sooner,I would have done it in a minute. I don't take any hormone replacements.I've dealt with the night sweats and hot flashes. I wish I didn't have to deal with the chemo though. As far as needing any of these organs to have pleassure when I have sex,well, just ask my husband, we've had no problem there.I'm not saying that a woman in her 20's or 30's should jump into surgery, but at 48, 49, a woman with all these problems should really consider it.
My ovaries had to be removed, not because of cancer, but because of 2 softball sized dermoids.  They had totally ingolfed the ovaries and the ovaries could not be saved.  Are you suggesting that since it was not cancer that I should have kept my ovaries and dermoids?  The dermoids could not be removed without taking the ovaries...This is not a one size fits all type of situation.  You need to be more compasionate and understanding of the women here.  No one needs to be bombarded with your negativity.  This is a SUPPORT forum, no judgements to be made.
~Tascha
Apparentally you didn't have OVCA which made your decision to keep your ovaries easier to make!!!!!!!!!Also, I never once thought of myself as being CASTRATED. Unfortunately, I did have cancer. But if I didn't, at 47,with 3 grown children trying to keep my ovaries with all other kinds of problems going on down there, that would be the last thing on my mind.I want to be here for my children and grandchildren without worrying constantly about anything turning into cancer.
I thought we were all done with the word "Castrated." Thought we put that to bed, so to speak. At this point, those are sounding like fighting words. We are smart women. We know we have no ovaries if we have no ovaries ....we get it. Too many threads have already address the offensiveness of the word "Castrate." Let's let it go and continue to support other women, as I see you are wanting to do.

Thanks. Now I am leaving for sure...vacation :)
Hi there, because the cysts are on both ovaries, the doctor may be suspecting serous cystadenomas...they often appear on both sides. While usually benign, they have the potential to become malignant. They are not really cysts, but actual tumors, originating from epithelial cells on the ovaries. This may be why the doctor is suggesting removing the ovaries as well? Also age is a factor too.

Linda J
My doctors and the gynecology/oncologist researchers I have interviewed use the term castration. The medical literature uses the term castration. I chose not to have the castration that was recommended for me. I may change my mind at some time, depending on future evaluations.

You are severely passive aggressive and should seek treatment for your emotional and social behavior pattern issues, which have nothing to do with ovarian cancer....
AMEN!!!! I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER THEN THAT.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.