Ovarian Cancer Forum

intermenstral bleeding

I dont normally ask questions in here as I feel this forum should be reserved for woman with malignant issues. So if you do answer dont waste to much time on my question and thank you.

I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed this time last year due to an ovarian cyst (20cm). Because it was benign and there is no evidence to suggest a greater risk than the rest of the population, There is no follow up U/S in the UK. Possibly unrelated: last month I experienced some light, brown bleeding 3 days after the end of my period. Nurse' advice was W+W and similar thing has taken place again this month. It is even lighter this time dark brown only and looks a little like - im sorry for this - marmite. I am also experiencing some moderate cramping. Again 3 days after the end of my period.

Doctor initially concluded 'hormone fluctation' advice: just go home and see what happens over the next few months. However having looked at my history she is sending me for an ultrasound just to put my "mind at ease". My first cyst did not give me this symptom but obviously I am concerned. I have one remaining Ovary and I am about to try for a baby before its to late so fertility is a huge issue for me.

The U/S will take around a month to materialise - living in the UK with its fantastic NHS system. Any advice or piece of mind to stop my imagination reeling out of control would be gratefully recieved,

Thanks in advance,

Anna XX
Dear Anna,

Your question is very important. First of all, I do not immediately think about ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer with the symptom of intermenstrual bleeding. But i do think it is not normal. here are a few things to consider:

-yes bleeding between your periods could represent irregular hormone secretion. that is if you are not ovulating each month, your ovary will produce estrogen but it will not produce the second female hormone, progesterone. In that case, the lining of your uterus - the endometrium- gets extra stimulation and when you bleed, the bleeding is for a longer time.

- if you have a change in your thyroid function, that can impact your cycles. it is worth considering a blood test to check for low thyroid. this is a very common problem in women.

- Pregnancy. Check a pregnancy test.

-make sure you have had a recent pap smear. abnormal precancerous changes in the vaginal and cervix and cancers in this area can give abnormal bleeding.

-structural problems inside the uterus such as polyps, premalignant growths (hyperplasia) and cancer of the  lining of the uterus (endometrial cancer) can cause inter-menstrual bleeding. I always consider a biopsy of the lining of the uterus (an endometrial biopsy) when someone has intermenstrual bleeding
best wishes
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize