Ovarian Cancer Community

ovary removed...what to expect now?

Three weeks post-surgery for dermoid removal (laparotomy).  Surgeon removed right ovary and tube and now I was wondering what to expect.  I've read that the remaining ovary picks up the slack but what have others experienced?  Does this happen right away?  First period was on schedule but that was only days after the surgery. I felt like I was bouncing back great after two weeks but in the last couple days - not so great.  My energy level was great and now dropped.  My mood swings are all over the place and of course everyone knows the swelly belly.  I don't know if it's surgery or PMS or what the deal is.  Have others noticed hormone changes after having only one ovary removed?  Doc has me following-up at 4 weeks so I haven't talked to her since I left the hospital.  Thanks - jen
Hi Connie no, at 35 your issues shouldn't be perimenopausal. lol. I think with me, I was so close to going into menopause anyway,  that the removal of the ovary just accelerated things. I'm going to do the wait and see as my gyne suggested and see if things straighten themselves out.. or maybe i'll get lucky and periods will stop completely! YIPPEE!

Hudson
YES!! I had a unilateral oophorectomy as well (in february 06) and my hormones are STILL out of control.  I noticed that my right ovary picked up the slack right away; although mine were regular, periods don't tell you whether you're ovulating, but I sure can feel it very intensely.  as far as hormonal things go, I'm still trying to get that straight,  think it's over-compensating because I'm much more emotional than I used to be.
It can take a while for the other ovary to kick in and do the job of both.  Some women, myself included, can go into a temporary surgical menopause until the other ovary takes over.  I only have 10% of my right ovary (due to the removal of 2 softball sized dermoids and the entire left ovary and tube along with 90% of the right ovary)  and it is doing a fantastic job.  I have also had a tvh, so I take bio identical progesterone in order to stay hormonally balanced.  I have never felt better.  I am 46 and feel great.
~Tascha
Hi Gatsby, I was only having about 6 periods a year even before i lost my left ovary in March. Now since March, I've only had 2 periods and this one was weird. I'm just paranoid because of my past ovarian serouscystadenoma. It makes me wish I would have had both ovaries removed, not just one, but docs talked me out of it. ugh!

If it keeps up, I'll likely go in for a pelvic exam, just for piece of mind. (The nurse says, "you were just here June 1st. for your pelvic and pap" lol. I felt like saying "Yes, I know, but I'm a nutcase now and need more reassurance".)

Hudson
Hey I am having my ovary removed the 8th, how was it after surgery as far as pain goes?  I had a dermoid removed from my ovary last year and now it is back so they are just going to take it all this time.  I know with just the dermoid surgery I was in bed for about 3 days stright, hurt too much to get myself out of bed without some help.  Just wondering if taking the ovary and tube out causes a longer recovery.
Hi there, I had an ovary removed in March. I am 51 years old and experiencing all kinds of peri-menopause stuff, so it's hard for me to say if you will notice a difference or not. How old are you and were your periods regular before the surgery?

Hudson
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize