Ovarian Cancer Community

rmarie status

rmarie died this past Thursday at noon at St. Joseph's Hospital in Syracuse, NY. She had been placed in palliative sedation so that her final hours were peaceful and pain free. Thank you to all her friends on this forum, as she was dedicated to everyone here.

Her real full name is Rita Marie Hanover Berdan (she always loved to use Marie as her pseudonym), and she fought OVCA so hard: taking the most aggressive treatment and chemo routes, and spending 60-90 minutes per day (7 days per week, too) working out at the local YMCA doing both cardio and strength training, and she particularly enjoyed outdoing younger, healthier women who would get on machines next to her. Her obituary will be on line starting Sunday, Feb 17, at www.syracuse.com (follow the obituary links).

Thank you all.

Jerry Berdan
I have been dreading coming on to this forum every day for fear of reading this. I am at a loss for words... Although I am grateful Marie wasn't in any pain, it certainly doesn't make this any easier. She was an inspiration to all of us who are battling this disease and I for one,  consider myself lucky to have known her.
I wish I could think of something more meaningful and appropriate to say...my heart is just hurting.
I'm so sorry for your loss...
Becky
I am so sorry.  It is getting us one at a time.  I was thinking this morning why don't I go on and get it oer with so every one can get on with there lifes.  

I am so glad it ws easy in the end,  God bless you.  Yvonne
Dear Jerry,

Marie was a firey, feisty woman and she will be remembered by all for her enormous contributions to our family here.  Sorry is just not a word that is adequate to express how I feel about the loss of this wonderful woman. I know your family is in pain and shock and I will pray that God gives you some peace and comfort.  I am glad she was comfortable at the end and that she had a loving family to surround her.  
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.  I hope you know how much we loved her and tried to support her and be here for her.  Thank you also for sharing her real identity, although we did not need to know her real name because we knew her real heart.
You have my deepest sympathies for your loss and you and your family will be in our prayers.
Love,
Cory & Jan
Dear Jerry,
I'm so sorry to hear about Marie. Keeping you and your family in my prayers. Sending you love, comfort and peace -- may the wonderful memories you shared help you through this time. We'll miss Marie very much here.
With many hugs and prayers,
Fran
My prayers are with you. My own husband is having a worse time coping with my ovca than I am, so I'm sure you are in pain. May God ease your pain and give you peace.      Marie P.
Please know that you and your family are in my prayers. Marie was such a source of support and inspirationto us all and she will be sadly missed.  We share your loss.
I am so glad to know that she was peaceful and painfree in the end. And I extend my deepest and heart felt sympathy to you.
God bless her, may she rest in peace.
               Chris
I am so sorry for your loss. Your wife was a remarkable person. She will be remembered by all here.

Jerry,
I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words that can properly express the sorrow that is felt. Please know there are many praying for her and thinking of what a wonderful special person she was to keep fighting this disease so hard. God Bless you and your family.
I wish I could tell you how deep my sorrow is for Marie.. She was a wonderfully wise women who will be sorely missed.. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Ronni
Dear Jerry,
I am so sorry that Marie passed on. This is such a shock to me. It hurts me deeply. Marie has always been so strong, never a complainer and yes I can't believe how she would work out through all of this. I will never forget Marie--she was a wonderful caring woman. My deepest sympathy. Love, Helen
Dear Jerry
I am so sorry for your loss , I  send my sincere  sympathy to you and you,re family and am praying for you all .  Angie
Sometimes its hard to see through our tears, but even when we can't see, God has promised to be there,loving us, strengthening us, giving us what we need to face each day. May God hold you close and see you through, because you are so precoius to Him.  
  Thank you for letting us know about Marie.  With deepest sympathy...Donna
COMMUNITY LEADER
Marie touched each and every one of us here on this forum, as I am sure she did in her daily life.  Such a fighting spirit is an inspiration, and she delivered!  I am so sad to hear of her passing, but relieved to know her final moments were spent in peace. May God bless you and your family as you deal with your loss.  My thoughts, prayers, and deepest sympathy are with you.

Gail      
Marie reached out to me on a personal level.   She fought so hard with exercise and repeated treatments.  I am very sad to read of her passing.  I am glad she isn't in pain anymore but that doesn't help the pain of those of us left behind who miss her.  I am praying for you that God will give you peace and strength.  Thank you for following up and letting us know.  

With sympathy and prayers,

Shelly
Marie was an Angel on Earth, now she is an Angel we can feel around us, she was a Sister I never had, a confident, a reservoir of hope and faith, but most of all, a Friend.  I found these words I want to dedicate to her life,

Death casts a frightening shadow over us because we are entirely helpless in its presence. We can struggle with other enemies -- pain, suffering, disease, injury -- but strength and courage cannot overcome death. It has the final word. Only one person can walk with us through death's dark valley and bring us safely to the other side -- the God of life, our shepherd. Because life is uncertain, we should follow this shepherd who offers us eternal comfort.

God will recognize in Marie a good and willing servant and exalt her.  Good Bye Marie,  your name will remain in my memories.  A pure and simple woman of peace and love,
Marty

I have been dreading this post since you last updated us.  I am so very sorry!  Marie never missed a chance to help people here and she will be greatly and sadly missed.

Take care,
Lori
I am so sorry for your loss. I have known Marie since she started posting. She was always one of the first to respond to others when they were reaching out for help and comfort. I was always impressed by her energy, helpfulness, and strong will to fight this disease. She will be missed more than words can say.

Mary
I just want to send you my condelences at your loss. Marie was such a wonderful caring person and one of the first ones to answer my first post. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Jenny
I just want you to know that I'm sorry for your loss. I loved to read Marie's posts. She was such a brave person and very caring towards others. I will be praying for you and your family.

Glenda
May she rest in peace.  Marie was a wonderul help to everyone on this forum, she will be missed.

May her friends and family find comfort in knowing that she is not suffering.

Pam
Dear Jerry...I am so very sorry to hear of Marie's passing. She was a wonderful, compassionate friend to everyone who visits this site. Marie and I had a little pact... that she would cook Thanksgiving dinner for me, if I ever came to the States, and I would do the same for her, if she ever visited DownUnder.....and that would have been lovely... to meet Marie and maybe some of the other wonderful folks here.
I hope you will find some peace after all you have been through Jerry.
Thinking of you and your family at the very traumatic time...hugs and love...Helen...
I am so sorry for your loss.  I am very glad she went pain free.  She was a wonderful support for many people here, and we will remember her always.  Shannon
I didn't know your wife on a personal level but as I read youjr post tears were streaming down my face...I was lucky not to be faced with OVCA and I wanted to give back the support I so needed at my time of need when I didnt know what challenges I would have to face...I wish at this time I could say something to ease the pain but please know that I remember seeing your wifes posts and being in awe of the strength that she seemed to portray and her fiesty attitude..she was a true blessing to this forum. I pray for you and your family at this time.  Stay Strong!  Gia :)
I am so shocked by this news, can't stop the tears from flowing.  Just can't believe how quality everything happened but I am glad that she is not in pain anymore.  
Yes she fought this disease so hard and was so protective and helpful to those of us with OC.  I am at a lost for words.
My deepest condolecens to your family.  Now she is at peace mentally and physcially.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.