Ovarian Cancer Community

root resorption teeth

I went for my 6 month dental check up and my dentist told me that my chemo treatments (so far 9 x taxol/carbo) were causing root resorption.  She recommends I use xerostomia mouthwash or highly fluoridated toothpaste, fluoride supplements.  Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and just want to warn everyone of this side effect of chemotherapy.

Hi Kimchi,

I have recessed gum problems. Have had it for a couple of years now. I don't know what root resprption is but I have a feeling it is recessed gums. My bottom teeth are affected more but lately now on the top. The dentist has filled those areas while I was off chemo but I now have more areas. It's awful. And the worst is when is the next time I can go to the dentist. Yes, it's from chemo. I am taking the CoQ10 hoping that will help with the gums. The flouride doesn't seem to be helping me.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for Maine then NH to take my father for surgery. Be back the 19th.

Be well, stay well,
Helen
My dentist told me that resorption of teeth is the softening of the enamel around the teeth... She's going to give me fluoride past.  She didn't say anything about my gums,?,? Start my chemo on the 17th again (long break due to scheduling of ct scan and dr appointment) hope my hair that is now 3 inches long don't fall out again, especially now that I can comb it a little hahaha!
Hope your dad's surgery goes well..Take care of yourself too.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize