Ovarian Cysts Community

Advise on Laparscopy

I will need to have laparscopy for removal of cyst on left ovary.  I don't know the size of cyst.  Doctor mentioned he may have to remove ovary.  I told him I like to keep it and he said he would try.   Said same day surgery.  I have not had surgery before.   How long are most people in recovery before they can go home.  Do you wake up from it somewhat quickly in recovery?  I know everyone has a different experience afterwards.   Is there allot of belly pain?  I work in an office and wonder how long I will be out of work.  Doctor said 5 days and nurse is saying 2-4 weeks.  How long before they let you drive?
Thank you
COMMUNITY LEADER
Since most cysts resolve on their own, has this cyst been monitored for a few months and isn't shrinking hence the reason for surgery? You certainly don't want to undergo surgery unless it's necessary. It would be good to know the cyst's size.

As far as possibly losing your ovary - If you have a surgeon with good cystectomy (cyst removal) skills, the chances of losing your ovary should be very low. The problem is it's hard to know which surgeons have these skills and which don't. The loss of even one ovary can impair fertility as well as long-term health since the ovaries produce health-promoting hormones our whole lives.

I don't recall how long it took me to wake up from surgery. 5 days seems optimistic for recovery. I would think 2 weeks would be more reasonable. At least you have an office job so that helps.