Ovarian Cysts Community

Both ovaries have large cyst 17cm and bigger one is septate, surgery options?

I’m 45 and had partial hysterectomy 7 years ago because of endometriosis, no cancer history, healthy very active. Two months ago I started being awoke at night with lower back pain, especially with a full bladder.  I finally got an appointment with my pc she ordered an abdominal ultrasound that show a 17x19cm simple cyst along with several follicular cyst on my left ovary, and on my right side a 16x21cm septate cyst with blood flow present.  I’m scheduled to see the specialist in the next month, I’m curious if these are too big for laparoscopic removal and if so how long is my recovery?
Hi there.  Gosh, that's how many cysts that they found?  That stinks.  Did you see your doctor yet?  Simple cysts absolutely often pass on their own.  But gosh, ya, that's a big cyst!  So is the complex cyst you have.  I think that anything over 15 cm is considered large. Here's a case study on a larger cyst being removed laparoscopicly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5620856/  I hope you come back and let me know what has transpired since you wrote this a couple of weeks ago!
COMMUNITY LEADER
So sorry you are dealing with this. Those are large cysts. However, sometimes what appears to be one large cyst can be a cluster of smaller cysts. Keep us posted as you find out more.
The massive cysts you describe are not your typical run-of-the-mill cysts which will resolve spontaneously but rather cystic neoplasms, statistically probably ovarian epithelial tumors. The one on the left is probably a benign serous cystadenoma, while the one on the right is more complex and indeterminate. Regardless if benign or not, both should be removed as their large size is probably exerting mass effect on adjacent organs and causing pain and discomfort. I am not a gyn-onc surgeon, but the following article suggests that cysts greater than 10 cm are too large for laparoscopic approach:

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2822175/