Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cysts Community
6.07k Members

Breast pain after cyst removal

Strange question but I had a laparotomy 4 weeks ago to remove a large (slightly bigger than softball) dermoid from my right ovary. I kept the ovary but am experiencing severe breast pain and tenderness now (even clothing touching my breasts is excruciating). Why are my breasts so tender, and what can I do to alieviate the pain. I am taking NSAID pain relievers but they do not seem to help. I was on birth control pill before the surgery, and am not now because I had a tubaligation done at the same time as the cyst removal. No sex yet after surgery so no chance I am preggo. My period should be a week from now assuming the bleeding for a week after surgery was my period. (It was due Tuesday after my surgery on Friday so I assume it was the period.)

I have never had breast pain like this and it scares me on top of being so painful. Could it just be my hormones are wonky? How do I fix it? Anyone else have this issue after surgery?
5 Responses
225036 tn?1294513000
Most likely it is your hormones being out of whack.  Your body just went through a major shock, and it may take you a few cycles to get back to normal.  Is it possible that you are having normal PMS symptoms (only a more severe due to surgery) because your period is due?  If it doesn't get better when you take pain meds, you may want to give your doctor a call and see what he/she has to say.  I know I get tender beasts when I should have been having a period (I have Ovarian Remnant Syndrome so only a few pieces of ovary, no periods, but definately PMS symptoms).  
I don't think it is from my period being due because they have been hurting for 3 weeks now. Maybe it is horemones. I'll probably call the Dr if it doesn't get better after my period. It is even more painful than when I was pregnant. That is the only other time I have had breast pain.
I am kinda curious what the doctor told you. I am in the same situation. I had one ovary removed and now I have severe breast pain. No period since surgery though. My surgery was 3 moths ago.
My doctor said it was from hormonal changes.  Said that when you apply body lotion after showering, be sure to also apply it over your breasts.  It does help!
I has cysts removed and had pain from my stomach up to my breasts. Felt like I had been nursing 5 babies, it was so uncomfortable. My doctor barely gave me pain medicine. My periods have been kinda weird and sort of irregular. My last 3 periods were close together, followed by a really big menstrual cycle. It feels as if menopause has been speeded up! Im doing much better now, though.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.