I also have never heard of an ovarian cyst being affected by flying. I have bilateral ovarian cysts right now and recently flew from the west to the east and back with no more pain or problems other than what the cysts have been causing from the beginning. Are you worried due to the size of your cyst? If your cyst is large and are really concerned about flying you could call an ask your gyn.
My cyst is 5cm, so quite large. I am just concerned as I read a story that one girl was advised not to fly in case it ruptured. I would prefer to go home for treatment, but dont want to kill myself.
My cysts are 5cm and 4.2 cm and I did not have any issues with flying, but everyone is different. It is funny how some doctors have different opinions on what is considered large when it comes to ovarian cysts. My gyn considers mine small. Are you having surgery? Good luck with your treatment.
Ha- thats funny, my Gyn says mine is large. I also have an elevated CA 125, which although not an accurate measurement, is enough concern for him to want surgery. This is why I am considering flying home-IF (and I know thats a big if) it turns out to be bad, I would rather be at home with family to recieve treatment. I could get the cyst removed here, then fly home if needed for additional treatment, but I am concerned about the recovery time if it ends up being a laparotomy. At the moment doc says laperoscopy with possible laperotomy - so its a concern.
Is your cyst complex or simple? I also have an elevated ca 125, last one ran was at 48. My ca 125 level was elevated prior to these two cysts and I had a lap in April that found a small spot of endometriosis. Gyn is trying to use the nuva ring to help with the cysts, but I am getting so frustrated with the pain. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask for surgery.
Mine is complex- the gyn never specificaly called it that, but he said it contains solid and liquid - so I guess thats what it means.He also said the elvated CA 125 could be from othre things, but still wants to do surgery.
Thanks Sandy, yeah- i am concerned, but trying to hold it together. I am happier getting it checked out rather than ignoring it. I have just heard from one doctor in the UK that flying should be OK- I now have to check with my Doctor here when the office opens.
hi ya'll ... (southern US colloquialism ... u will get used to it)
i used to be an EMT (emergency medical technician) ... in my opinion some docs are advising not to fly with the cysts (or other medical conditions) because IF u have a torsion or rupture over the atlantic (not likely ... mostly it would be due to bad luck/timing) there is NO medical help available to care for u ... when i used to work, if someone experienced a true medical emergency flying over the continental US, planes would have to divert to the nearest airport to remove the patient
i had a CA-125 of 126 (i enjoyed how ironic it was that the numbers were consecutive)
Yeah- this is what I am nervous about. I dont know what the chances are of this - and I have to decide whether to risk it or not. My main concern is if it is something requiring more attention, what if I am not well enough to flay after surgery? I have read everyone's post on surgery recovery and some seem to have a very bad time of it. I'm also not sure how long they wait if it is OVCA before conducting additional treatment- if I have to wait 4 weeks before I can fly would that put me at extra risk? What a nightmare!
flying in the pre op stage is just as risky as taking a long car ride (moreso in the car
because of accidents) ... now to post op ... there is no guarantee after surgery that
u will reboud quickly or slowly ... if it is ur instinct to go home and be with ur loved
ones ... u will be miserable if u stay and that may affect ur recovery ... u know ??
do what feels right for u darlin ... do what u feel is going to give u peace of mind
i will be praying for u in the meantime
Thank you - your words are sweet. I definitely would rather go home- for me and my husband as he will have support around him to help him cope back home- here we are both alone.
I may just make the choice and go - risk assessment is always tough. I just have such a bad feeling about this and if anything happens I want to be at home.
I am really feeling the pressure today- I don't want to bring anyopne else down though :-)
I too have the same predicament i've been diagnosed with a Complex cyst on my right ovary since having terrible pain thats got worse over the last 2 years after having a scan on saturday i had an emergency appointment at my doctors to be told told i needed to see a gynecologist to have the cyst drained.........i'm been refered for urgent gyne appt to have a laparscopy??? not sure if thats the right term however we are due to fly on a family holiday to ibiza early july?????? Is it safe to fly with cyst? What are the chances of having the 'draining' done at first gyne appointment in which case would i be fit/well enough to fly?
1 week before i thought my uti getting worse again so that i go to the hospital and i found out i have a ovarian cyst 9cm,and i cant sleep at night cause of so much pain, the doctor says to disappear the pain i need to surgery to remove the cyst but i dont want to get a surgery here i want going home so that my family can help me too to my faster recovery, it is okay to fly going back home with my conditions..is there a possibility my ovarian cyst can bleeding inside and if that happen inside the plane is there any medical treatment for that or if they have a doctor inside the plane? if there is someone can read this message of mine please help me what best can i do..
im here in japan of course i can speak and understand a little bit japanese language but about my ovarian cyst sometimes i dont know what are the meaning of what they talking about.. and the worse thing i have no near relative here can visit me if ever i decided to make a surgery here. and its hard to stay in hospital for 14 days alone and the people around me are not the same language, not all japanese people cant speak english but most of all they cant speak or even they trying to speak english i can barely understand they english.. oh god im so stress right now, if there can any one out there can help me please.. im in pain now but i can still stand and walk but not so long coz long walking and standing can cause my pain getting worse..
I dont care what anyone says. I have had two cysts break in a plane. A year apart. Flew last night and the higher I got the more excruciating it was! Fast and expensive way to break a cyst lol. Im calling the ER dr today that I saw yesterday before I flew. I know this was not a coincidence happening twice!
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.