Ovarian Cysts Community

How long is recovery from Laparoscopic surgery?

WOW!.....I've read all the posts up to 'last year' then I realized that it might just be easier to 'ask this' then to search for it....i'm one of those gals that 'wants to know NOW', sorry.  
My surgery is an 'outpatient' one at a local hospital, they said i'd be home by late afternoon at the latest (providing there's no 'issues') but i'd be 'out of pocket/recovering' for at least 3-4 days....NOT WEEKS....are they wrong with that diagnosis?  I really need to know, i'm the only one that works here in my office (it's a company that has two venues) and I do 'everything' and there's NO replacement or stand in.  I'm not even sure how my boss is going to handle this news, but HEY, it's my health and it comes first!  Please advise ASAP!
P.S. I really liked the idea of 'pre-making & freezing' meals, this way I don't have to rely on hubby for that.  As for the 'constriction' after surger....been there done that with my hip surgeries and there's no way I want to go through that 'feeling & situation' again....YUKKO, I think i'll research the bran muffins and 'fiber' supplements this week.  You ladies are great, i'm so happy I found this site!!
I am from San Antonio, TX. and on Dec 24th I went to Orlando Florida for the vacation. On there I felt so sick and a sever pain on my right side and lower belly. I went to the ER, and found a cyst of 6 cm. I was scheduled for a laparoscopic surgery on 26th. I had it. Now I feel so pain, and I have to get back to san antonio ASAP. I reserver a ticket on Dec31st. Would that affect my surgery?? I am so scared!  by the way I had to walk and drive for  two hours, and that left me a horrible pain.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE SIDE AFFECT OF THESE!!!
Thanks for the great posts.  I have been diagnosed with three complex cysts on my ovaries and I am having surgery to remove them on 1/17/2011.  What a way to start the New Year.  One is 7 CM and the other two are 4 CM.  I am ready to get them out and feel better.  A bit concerned about the laporatomy, but ready to feel better.  Any suggestions on do's and don'ts for this type or surgery.  Wondering on the recovery time based on previous posts.
I'm sorry to hear you've had to have surgery. That's no fun. When I was 21 I had both a 10 cm and 5 cm cyst removed (one on each over, dermoid). They had to take nearly all of my left ovary and it doesn't really function now. I was in college at the time and I had full abdominal surgery for it. Within 2 weeks I was back at school and never missed a day. I did take the time off from work though. One thing was enough. It took the full 6 weeks to recover, but I found that I was able to get up and around. I had to stay in the hospital for 2 or 3 days (I can't remember).
Now it's 2 years later and I have another dermoid and a regular cyst on the other ovary. I'll be going in for surgery again soon. Right now we're trying to see if there is any way for me to have it done laparoscopic rather than a full abdominal surgery again. I have a toddler (17 months) who is busy busy and I don't want to be down that long with her.
Best of luck and if you have any other questions please ask. Maybe I can answer them :)
Hi I am having  laparoscopic surgery on wed to remove a few cysts,some scaring from a super patial historectomy,and they also have to remove my felopion tubes.I am wondering how long before I go back to work part time, the thing is I drive and lift auto parts for a living. I am also going to school will finish in 7 wks :) they said i will not have to stay in the hospital i could leave the same day. also i have gained allot of weight was wondering if the fluid in my tubes and cysts could cause  this.and will i loose the weight in my belly?
This and the other thread (10 things I learned...) has really helped me! I'm having surgery to remove a dermoid on April 12. My doctor too said 2-3 days of recovery (using the DaVinci laparoscopy surgery), but I fear that is being too optimistic.

Here's my question... I work at home sitting in a recliner with a c-shaped pillow on my lap where I place my laptop (the "arms" of the c-shaped pillow are then my arm rests). It's very comfy, but it's still a sitting position.

Should I be comfortable sitting in this position a few days after surgery? I hear people saying driving was a problem, but is that because of the sitting position, the arm movements, or just being "dopey" from the drugs?

I have surgery on a Tuesday, and my plan is to begin computer work for 1-2 hours a day beginning on Thursday (just responding to any emails) and actually "return to work" for 4-8 hours per day on Monday. I'm lucky that I can set my own schedule because I work from home, so I'm just wondering what kind of schedule to set for myself.

PS: I'm now terrified of this whole "gas problem" that I've been reading about and that my doctor didn't say a thing about. I figured my abdomen would be sore, but now gas making my shoulders/chest hurt is worrying me!
It's been 2 weeks today since I had a ovarian endometrial cyst removed.
I CANNOT BELIEVE how doctors don't prepare you for recovery! I have had a hard time finding the right pain management; also, sleep cycle is messed up, and legs are cramping up due to laying face up because I cannot lay on my side. It is a challenging process, so make sure you are very nice to yourself, cry when you need to let it out and know that you are strong for doing so. The hardest for me, besides the pain and immobility, was relying on others and asking for time off of work. I guess it is a good time to reflect on your needs and expectations, and adjust them accordingly as your best advocate.

Here are some tips:

1. Prepare for "the day". I should have taken my anti-anxiety med (1 valium prescribed), but I didn't because I didn't think I could take a sip of water that day. I later found out I should have. If you have ANY inclination toward anxiety, I recommend you take it. I had anxiety attacks for hours before rolling into the OR.

PREPARE FOR THE DAY OF, POST OP.

***fyi- doctor says 2 weeks is "typical", but can take up to 4-6 weeks for recovery.

2. Make your room/home somewhere you want to come back to. For me it was candles, lavendar, water, an extra small nightstand, and necessities from list below.

3. Having these handy may help:
- Pillows, different sizes and firmness. You will be in bed a lot, and may not be able to turn to your side!
- Candles
- Water/drinks (not sugary or gassy. I got tons of teas)
- Sleepytime tea! And tylenol PM. Meds can keep you up.
- Peppermint tea and ginger lemon tea are good for nausea.
- Night mask, to cover up light or facilitate sleep.
- Magazines, books, movies, etc. I recorded a bunch of things On Demand.
- Face wash cloths, baby wipes, tissue, paper towels
- Lotion
- Apps are available to help you monitor your med use too - don't let that pain flare, it is a lot harder to rid.
- Flexistraws
- HEATING PAD!!!
- Make sure you have pads available
- Comfy, loose robes or bedshirts (no elastic band)
- Granny panties (I cut mine down middle with scissors
- Gas ex!!
- Bran muffins - good to have something in your tummy before taking meds too.
-  Access to light switch
- Prepared meals. Fruits and veggies seemed most appetizing to me, as was yogurt and granola.

I realize it is different for everyone - but I never expected it would be this difficult for me. Be prepared - it may really suck. I find myself grieving over it here and there. The pain is so distinct and unique, and it is difficult to communicate because because most people don't experience this. Just know that you are not alone in it.

After 2 weeks, I can stand and walk for up to 3-5 minutes at a time. I feel internal pain, like a 5 on a pain scale (to 10). There is a lot of discomfort and frustration. BUT it is better than it was before.

Thank you for everyone who has posted here. I would have thought there was something wrong with taking this long if I had not actually read what other women went through. Now if only doctors did the same...

And I hope this is helpful to others in return.