How long is recovery from Laparoscopic surgery?

WOW!.....I've read all the posts up to 'last year' then I realized that it might just be easier to 'ask this' then to search for it....i'm one of those gals that 'wants to know NOW', sorry.  
My surgery is an 'outpatient' one at a local hospital, they said i'd be home by late afternoon at the latest (providing there's no 'issues') but i'd be 'out of pocket/recovering' for at least 3-4 days....NOT WEEKS....are they wrong with that diagnosis?  I really need to know, i'm the only one that works here in my office (it's a company that has two venues) and I do 'everything' and there's NO replacement or stand in.  I'm not even sure how my boss is going to handle this news, but HEY, it's my health and it comes first!  Please advise ASAP!
P.S. I really liked the idea of 'pre-making & freezing' meals, this way I don't have to rely on hubby for that.  As for the 'constriction' after surger....been there done that with my hip surgeries and there's no way I want to go through that 'feeling & situation' again....YUKKO, I think i'll research the bran muffins and 'fiber' supplements this week.  You ladies are great, i'm so happy I found this site!!
Hi I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. I just want to put it out there that not all recovery is as difficult as you had. I hope you are doing better now. I had surgery 1pm Tuesday and was home by 4pm weds. I had a 12cm endometrial cyst with adhesions and a d&c. My surgery was performed by a gyn/ onc who is the head of his dept at a university hospital so I don't know the experience of your surgeon. They did have me on a catheter and put compression machine on my calves to prevent clots. I also had a morphine pump which I controlled. They sent me home with my prescriptions which I could fill through my drive thru pharmacy (husband drove). Keep a pillow in the car to put between you and seat belt. Also helps to compress if you have to sneeze or cough. I was also given a stool softener for easier bowel movements which may not occur for a few days and I was put on a low fiber diet for the time being to make it easier. Stockup before hand with water, teas, apple juice, yogurts, and pre made meals or sandwiches are good for a few days but my doctor wanted me walking on the first day with assistance as to not fall. You need to walk but have assistance getting up and down walking prevents clots and breathing complications. This forum is great to get tips from those who have gone through it. Feel better soon. God bless.
hi everyone, glad there are sites like these to get news from, i think it really depends on the person cause i had a laparoscopy surgery that ended up having to be an open surgery to have a cyst removed from my right ovary and by the tuesday evening i was up and about walking i was home by thursday there's pain now and again but like i said it depends on the person my mom had the same thing done to years ago and she says it takes couple days up to a weak to heal but you should still always take it easy atleast thats what am doing to ease the pain.

have a gd one
Hi Everyone,

It is certainly great to know that I am not alone in this situation! I had never heard of endometriosis until six months ago when I had a ruptured ovarian cyst.  I have had severe abdominal pain since November of last year and finally, after having another cyst develop and rupture, I knew I couldn't put off surgery any longer.  I went in Thursday to the hospital and had my surgery finally about 9 pm Friday since I was an add on.  I finally got out of surgery at 11, although my doctor thought it would be a 30 minute procedure.  Thankfully, I didn't have to have anything removed, except the endo she could remove since some of it was on my colon (she didn't want to touch that and I'm happy she didn't!).

I am on my fourth day at home and still stuck on my couch, unable to sit upright or stand/walk for longer than a few minutes.  I thought that I was just being a big baby about this, especially since my doctor had told me I could return to work two days after the procedure!! My boss' wife informed me she had the procedure ten years ago and said that she was up and "running around" after three days; I'm sure this she remembers it this way because she is filling in for me at work and hates that!

I am just amazed that every one of us got told that a couple of days is the expected recovery time.  I got three incisions,  and a lot of bruising; I'm a 25 yr old woman in excellent mental and physical health so my doctor told me "this would be a breeze".  Boy was she wrong! I think that doctors should reconsider the recovery time they tell their patients, not only to prepare them for the recoup, but also so patients don't have the problem that I have-my boss has done his research (and listened to his wife) and doesn't see why I can't return to work tomorrow!!  It's just not fair to be thought less of because a doctor, who most likely has never had this surgery themselves, tells you you should be fine in a few days. My office now thinks that I am either a baby or milking this so I can get a few days at home.  Truth be told, I can't wait to get back to work! I'm tired of my couch and there's nothing on tv!

Sorry to ramble ladies, but I'm so happy to find that I'm not alone and that I'm not just being a baby about this!  I wish all of you that just had your surgeries a quick recovery and thank you for sharing your experiences because they have made me feel much better about not only the outlook, but about myself!
Hi!I just had a surgery 2 wks. ago.the Dr. removed my uterus and right ovary.Because I had a uterine fibroid,and ovarian cyst.And also the dr. found out I got endemetreiosis. I was an outpatient,And the thing done to me was laproscopic 3 wholes.and I can move now but not lifting anything heavy bec. they said recovery could be 4-6 wks.Hope everything would be fine for you so far I'm doing good.For 1 wk. I could go to the grocery store just don't work too much for 2 wks. or so bec. you might be easily tired.Just eat soup or crakers after your surgery and light food for 3 days bec. the anesthesia could affect you. And also you might experience upper back pain. God Bless!
Excellent info. I am scheduled for a laparoscopy in 2 weeks for Uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and possible endometriosis. I am so thankful to each one of you for all the info and tips you provided. I am a single parent of one...already made arrangements for my baby, however, I see there is quite a lot I was not aware of in terms of pre and post procedure. I feel a little anxious but much better on the inside knowing I am not alone and also have a clearer picture of what to expect.  I appreciate. I will keep you posted on how all goes.
3-4 weeks possibly? Oh hell no. I probably should push surgery (if need be) on a year when FMLA and short term are possible. Can't do no pay PTO days.

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cysts Community