Is it safe to fly 7hrs on an airplane with a 6cm x 6cm ovarian cyst?

I just found out in the ER that that is what I have. A small fibroid inside my uterus AND a 6x6 cm left ovarian cyst. I have had left sided discomfort/pain/bloating/frequent urination, etc for 1 week. My trip is in 3 weeks. Unsure when a GYNE can see me/if I'll need surgical intervention. Scared/worried/unsure. :(
COMMUNITY LEADER
I would think it's ok to fly. If the cyst gets a bit bigger, there's risk of ovarian torsion which can be very painful and cause the ovary to die.

If the cyst doesn't resolve and you need surgery, you will want to be sure the surgeon is going to remove just the cyst (cystectomy) and preserve your ovary since our ovaries produce hormones our whole lives that are critical to every aspect of health. Unfortunately removing the ovary along with the cyst is an easier and quicker surgery so many women lose their ovary(ies) unnecessarily increasing their risk for a number of health related problems as well as impaired fertility. Be sure to make your wishes clear on the surgical consent form as that is the only way to protect yourself. This website is helpful in understanding ovarian cysts - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cysts Community