OVARIAN CYST AT AGE 55

My mother who is 55 was Diagnose with an ovaryan cyst by a CT scan 2007, she went for her annual exam September 2008 and her GYN MD sent her for an Ultrasound of the pelvis-results were L complex ovarian cyst slighly larger that CT of 2007, irregular echoes MRI recommended. SHe went for an MRI last week results: Simple Left ovarian cyst based on MRI. She had her R ovary remove because of a 8cm cyst in 2001 which thanks to God was bening.  She had a hysterectomy in 1986 for pre-cancer.  I want to ask her GYN doctor for a more secure diagnostic test, since she is post menopausal and 55, I'm scared to death that she might develop ovarian cancer in hte future.  Please advise.
Unfortunately there is nothing definitive.  The CA-125 is not always a good marker for everyone.  If it were me I'd insist that they take it out.  They cannot be sure until they do so and test the pathology.  It is good that her last one was benign but I wouldn't take any chances.  
I am also menopausal and for some reason developed an ovarian cyst. If I'm reading your message correctly last week's MRI showed the cyst to be "simple." That's a good thing; it means it's fluid filled and not likely to be a problem. You didn't mention the size but if it's over 5 cm they'll most likely want to remove it. She has no need for that ovary now. My cyst was 10 cm and they just bagged it and pulled it out. What a relief.

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cysts Community