Ovarian Cysts Community

Ovairan cyst help

Some background:  I began menstruating by age 10 and had always had heavy, painful periods that came like clock work same time every month and lasting 5 days.  In 2001 I had an appendectomy at which time my right ovary was found to be three times it's normal size.  By 2002, the right ovary was removed due to a dermoid cyst that had grown to the size of a football and had overtaken the ovary.  For the most part, things went back to normal.  I began taking Ortho tri cyclen lo on 2004.  Until 2007 I had no issues with this BC.  At that time I began experiencing irregular cycles, everything from early, late, months long, etc.  I then developed an irritating functional cyst on my left ovary.  By early 2008 it had grown to the size of a softball and was surgically removed.  By the end of 2008 exploratory surgery was performed.  Adhesions had formed and bound the left ovary to my intestines.  The irregular cycles have continued as well as the developing of functional and blood-filled cysts beyond the normal size.  My BC has been changed so many times I have lost count. My doc also experimented with Lurpon for several months to only provide the answer that I needed the estrogen from my BC.  In 2013, while having my gallbladder out, my surgeon cleaned out more scar tissue from the left ovary.

Today:  Just went to the GYN today and found that I have yet another functional cyst, about 3cmX4cm.  I currently taking Ovcon 35 (has a larger dose of estrogen) as my BC and have been on it for about a year.  Typically I get a bad one every 2-6 months.  They get large enough that they become very painful, sometimes debilitating.  

It has been 11 years since these issues began and I am looking for a better solution than "watch and wait".  I am 26 and do intend to have children at some point.  The docs are trying to hold onto my one ovary with all of their might but I am worried that if these cysts continue, as well as the scar tissue worsening, that my chances may get slimmer.  Does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives?  
One of the most effective treatments for ovarian cysts is use of contraceptive pills or progesterone pills. It can also be treated surgically and this procedure is known as drilling. Other modes of treatment are laparoscopic surgery, laparotomy or surgery for complicated ovarian cysts.
You can discuss the treatment options with your gynecologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.