Ovarian Cysts Community

Ovarian Cyst Removal Questions Before Surgery

I learned last Thursday that I have a large ovarian cyst and removal is scheduled this coming Friday. It’s all happened so quick I’m having a hard time processing. I’m 46 yo, past menopause and had no symptoms prior to discovering a large bulge in my lower abdomen. I haven’t spoken to the surgeon and don’t see him until Pre-Op this week so I don’t know what to expect.
Is surgery inpatient it outpatient? (don’t know exact size other than it’s large. It’s at least the size of my hand)
What is the recovery time? How much time needs to be taken off work? If given the opportunity to work from home, is that a possibility?
How big is incision?
Did anyone notice dark circles, weight gain, fatigue and thinning hair prior to diagnosis? I thought it was age setting in but now I wonder if related. Thanks in advance... I’m on pins and needles so any info would be so helpful!!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. You said you don't know the size of the cyst. I assume you don't know the suspected type either? You should request a copy of the imaging report which will have all this info.

Is your surgeon planning to remove just the cyst (cystectomy) versus the ovary (oophorectomy) if the cyst is benign (as most are)? The ovaries produce hormones a woman's whole life and are critical to all aspects of health. Removal of even one ovary can reduce ovarian hormones and predispose you to health problems.

Don't feel pressured to keep your surgical date if you are not comfortable with the plan or the surgeon. Be sure to state your expectations (on what can be removed under what conditions) on the surgical consent form and have the surgeon sign off on any revisions you make. Get a copy for yourself. I wish I had done all of that.

I would think surgery could be either inpatient or outpatient. I don't know standard recovery for cystectomy but would think if you have a sedentary job, you wouldn't need more than a couple weeks off.

Incision size depends on whether it is done via laparoscope or abdominally (laparotomy).

I had weight gain with my 10 cm cyst but no dark circles, hair loss or fatigue.

Let me know how pre-op  goes.
I had a cyst removed several years ago. was golf ball sized. they did a laporoscopy (sp?) and made a tiny incision at pubic bone and another to the right of it for tiny camera. pretty quick out patient procedure and recovery pretty quick as well