Preventative Measure

I just had a c-section 3 weeks ago to remove a 10cm cyst and another chocolate cyst attached to my left ovary.  As a result I lost my left ovary.  My doctor said a preventative meaure to not get them again is to go on birth control because it doesn't allow me to ovulate and then develop cysts.  Has anyone else been told this?  I am 41 years old, non-smoker and in very good health.  I have a follow up appt in a couple of weeks and I am still on the fence about going on birth control but at the same time I also don't want to have to go thru this again.  thank you.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
    Yes, the thinking is that by going on the BC pill, it will suppress ovulation. No Ovulation, no cyst. However, I don't know if that only applies to "functional " cysts or all kinds, as some cysts are not dependent on ovulation to begin with. There are lots of ladies that have ovarian cysts (like myself) who no longer ovulate and haven't for years.

Also, at 41, many women are still thinking about having kids, so it's really a personal decision..I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.. good luck and let us know..
Sandy
thank you very much for letting me know that I can still develop cysts.  I will have to discuss it further with my doctor now and let you know.