Ovarian Cysts Community

Recurring Endometriomas - Considering removing an ovary...

Hi all...I am 35 years old and have large recurring endometriomas and stage 4 endo, which was "cleaned out" in my first surgery.  My first surgery was in 2010 for an 8.6cm endometrioma on my right ovary.  After taking a round of Clomid in February 2013 I immediately grew another extremely painful 8.6cm endometrioma on my left ovary and had my second surgery in June 2013.  Four short months later, in November 2013 I went back to my OBGYN for pain and they found a 5.4cm endometrioma, again, on the left ovary - where they had just removed the last one.  I believe all three cysts have been on my left side since I have only ever had pain on my left side.  My Dr. suggested trying Lupron, however, after my endometriosis flared so badly from the Clomid, I was very hesitant to try anything that would mess with my hormones again with no guarantee of the cyst shrinking.  So, here I am four months later with pain slowly getting worse on my left side...my husband and I have been hoping to have children, but this last year has proven difficult with these recurring cysts.  If I have surgery again, I am considering having my left ovary removed in addition to the cyst but am concerned about fertility and also functioning of the remaining ovary - if it has been too damaged by the other two surgeries.  Any comfort or counsel would be greatly appreciated.  Has anyone experienced success in pregnancy or being cyst free after removal of the pesky recurring cyst ovary?  I know it's the endo and not the ovary creating the problem, however it seems my left side is the only side involved.  Thanks so much for any help!  
Recurrence of endomterioma can occur when there is inadequate first line surgery and incomplete resection of deep endometriosis lesions. It can also occur when the endometrioma is removed piecemeal and the tissue planes are scarred.

So discuss these with your doctor to find out what may be responsible for the recurrence.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.