Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cysts Community
6.08k Members

Regret after unilateral oophorectomy for complex ovarian cyst

I had a unilateral oophorectomy about 2 weeks ago for an asymptomatic, complex, 5 cm cyst with papillary growth inside.  I am 39 and premenopausal. I was told that if a cystectomy was performed, and it ruptured (which is does more than 50% of the time) and pathology came back as cancer, I would be upstaged and worse off.  I was told doing an oophorectomy with cyst removed intact was better if it did turn out to be malignant, because it would not spread.  I was told the cyst was probably benign, but there was no way to really know until it came out, and the papillary growth was concerning as it is a feature of malignancy. I am done having kids, and I was reassured by multiple doctors I consulted that hormones would be the same with 1 ovary or 2.  So I elected for what I saw as the safest bet and got the unilateral oophorectomy.  Pathology came back as benign serous cystadenoma.  I should be happy, but instead I am filled with remorse and regret over my decision.  Anyone else feel this way?  I wish I could go back in time and not be so scared by the small possibility of cancer and get the cystectomy instead.
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
Welcome to the community. I am sorry your ovary was removed even though the cyst was benign. I also had a benign cyst (9.5cm mucinous cystadenoma) and was over-treated. My gyn / surgeon took it even further by removing both ovaries, both tubes, and my uterus. This was a doctor I had trusted for almost 20 years. I have been shocked to discover how often gynecologists remove ovaries and uteri unnecessarily causing all kinds of health problems for us. And no one seems to care.

If you are having symptoms of reduced ovarian hormones, hopefully they will be temporary. The other ovary may get the message that it needs to take over for the absent one but that does not always happen.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.