Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Should I have a hysterectomy while having an ovary removed because of cysts?

Hello - I am 44, have two children, am relatively healthy (if slightly overweight). I had my fallopian tubes removed (one was inflamed without a clear reason) and a uterine ablation about 6 months ago, so I already am infertile. I now have two cysts on one of my ovaries, which are causing pain and look slightly suspicious. Though the ultrasound isn't too worrisome, my Ova1 test indicates a cancer possibility. The oncologist is "90% hopeful" that only one ovary will need to be removed, with the understanding that a frozen section biopsy of that ovary may lead to the removal of the other ovary and more invasive surgery for cancer staging.

My question: Thoughts on/experiences with a hysterectomy for a similar situation? I told the doc that it was fine, but I'm having second thoughts. He seemed somewhat ambivalent; though he recommended removing my uterus, he said it was my choice. He said that some women like to retain their overused for "support." If cancer is indicated, he will remove the uterus anyhow.
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am sorry you are dealing with this. The uterus and ovaries have lifelong functions. You don't want any parts removed if it isn't necessary.

According to this website https://www.aacc.org/cln/articles/2013/march/ovarian-cancer, the positive predictive value (odds of you having a disease if you have a positive result) of the Ova1 test is only 40% so chances are greater that the cyst is benign and that's all you would need removed (cystectomy).

Unfortunately, unnecessary female organ removal is far too common leaving women harmed by the many medically documented adverse effects and increased health risks. I know from personal experience of having my organs removed for a benign ovarian cystadenoma.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cysts Community

Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.