Ovarian Cysts Community

Treatment for Dermoid Ovarian Cyst

I am a twenty-nine year old female who recently went in to see my gynecologist for my annual well-woman exam. Upon the pelvic examination of my ovaries, she noticed some fullness and tenderness around my intestines which affected her view of my left ovary. So, she had me come back for a follow up ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. I had the ultrasound, and the only thing that the technician told me was that my uterus looked normal and my IUD was in the right spot. I got a call later on telling me that my doctor wanted to speak with me as the ultrasound showed a cyst on my left ovary. I was not at all concerned as I know that these are common and usually harmless. So, I went back in to speak with, and she told me that I had a dermoid cyst on my left ovary that was 8.5 cmm, almost the size of a baby's head when the uterus is fully dilated. She told me my options where laproscopic surgery or laparotomy surgery via a bikini incision as the recovery time would be quicker, and I would just be on medical leave for four to five weeks. When she does the laparotomy, she will be taking my left ovary as she cannot save the tissue due to the size of the cyst. I will be having the MRI done soon to confirm her diagnosis. My question about the laparotomy is how long does the surgery last? I know that I will be in the hospital for a few days and will have a gastric tube, foley cathetar, and endo-tracheal tube connected to some form of mechanical ventilation for the procedure. Every time I do a google search, it just tells me how the procedure is completed. I have had surgery in the past to remove a benign tumor on the back of my neck and my wisdom teeth before which were relatively short procedures. Also, what kind of general anesthesia would I be getting as I have a seizure disorder and take Tegretol XR twice a day at four hundred milligrams per pill? I also take Citalopram and Adderall at ten milligrams once a day for depression and attention deficit disorder. Thanks, I would appreciate a quick response to this question.
Bump
My laparotomy took about three hours. Full story is in my profile.  Any anesthesia questions must be discussed with the anesthesia team prior to surgery. They should know how to adjust for a patient's specific needs.
My daughter had an ovarian cyst removed in August.  Her surgery was done by laparotomy (a 4 inch horizontal incision on the bikini line), and her surgery took about 1 1/2 hours and she was in recovery for about 1 1/2 hours.  The cyst and a small portion of her right ovary were removed (the part of the ovary that was damaged by the cyst).  She was discharged that evening.  My surgery was done with a small laparasocpic incision up high in the abdomen and a very long, vertical open abdominal incision from the belly button down to the public line.  My surgery took about 2-3 hours and I was in recovery for about 2 - 3 hours.  I spent 3 nights in the hospital and was discharged yesterday.  I don't know what kind of general anesthesia they used in either of our cases, but my anesthesiologist said that they use a type that you wake up very quickly from, which seemed to be true.  I also don't know the answers to your questions regarding your medications, but it will be very important to tell every person you talk to from pre-anesthesia, to prep, to the surgeon, to the anesthesiologist, to your nurses about your medications (whether or not you should take them on the morning of your surgery, when the nurses will be able to give them to you after the surgery, and to make sure that they use an anesthetic and pain medications that will not interact with your other current medications.  
Thanks, for all of your responses :). You have given me some more questions to ask my gynecologist. I have had surgeries in the past, but I have never had major abdominal surgery. So, I am a little nervous about it but want to feel better in the long run. My main concerns were the use of my Mirena IUD and having children, and she reassured me that this would not affect anything as I would be fine with just one ovary similarly to living with one kidney.
Does anyone know how long the MRI to diagnose this type of ovarian cyst will take? I am scheduled to have mine tomorrow.
Hmmm, I'm not sure about how long an MRI to diagnose an ovarian cyst would take.  Maybe someone else on this forum will know.  My daughter and I both had CT scans (about 10 min.for the actual test, but quite a long time to get the IV line started for the contrast dye) and transvaginal ultrasounds (about 45 min.) to diagnose our ovarian cysts.  I did have an MRI to diagnose another medical problem (herniated cervical discs) a couple of years ago, and it took about 20 min.  I had never had one before, and they gave me earphones to listen to music and talked to me in between each part of the MRI.  Overall, the MRI was much less difficult than the CT scan (which required contrast dye in an IV line) or the transvaginal ultrasound (which was a bit uncomfortable).  I would definitely allow plenty of time for the MRI because you never know how long you might have to wait beforehand.  I did not have any "prep" to do prior to the MRI and I did not have any side effects or problems during or afterward.
How much does a laparotomy cost before insurance? I have health insurance and am just wondering.
Mine was about $12,000 total (surgeon, anesthesia, hospital, labs).
What kind of stiches did ya'll have for your laparotomy? I am hoping that she will opt for internal sutures and dermaband instead of staples.
My daughter's ER visit, testing (CT scan and ultrasound), gynecological appts.,and surgery (inlcuding anesthesia and doctor) was about $35,000, and our insurance will cover all but the out of pocket maximum after the deductible.  I don't have the bills for my surgery yet, but I think it will be more since I had 3 nights in the hospital, but again, the insurance will pay all but the out of pocket maximum after the deductible.  My daughter had dissolving sutures underneath and steri strips on top.  Hers was a small (maybe 4" incision) and she didn't stay overnight in the hospital.  I have dissolving sutures underneath and many, many staples on top, which were removed on Wed., and now I have steri strips on top.  Mine was a much larger open abdominal incision (about 10 - 12 ").
How many inches would an incision be across the bikini line? I am thinking that is on the skin across the pubic bone. Is that correct?
My daughter's laparotomy incision was about 4 inches along the bikini line, which is basically a horizontal line at the top of the pubic area.