Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cysts Community
6.06k Members

Using Depo-Provera diagnosed with ovarian cysts - can these just be functional?

Hi - I have had severe right hand side abdomenal pain for around 9 months. My GP initially suspected IBS as I have had this in the past but this has not been relieved by IBS treatments/diet changes etc.,. As I have a strong family history of breast and ovarian cancer (Maternal grandmother and mother, both deceased) I requested a trans vaginal scan and was also given an external pelvic scan.

The pelvic scan showed no issues but the trans vaginal revealed a right side ovarian cyst, which my GP felt was most likely functional. I am on Depo Provera contraceptive jab and have not had a period in many years so this seemed odd to me!! I am now seeing a private gynaecologist who arranged another scan - he didn't seem to consider functional cysts an option either. The sonographer couldn't see a right side cyst but saw one on the left this time, which she thought was probably, you guessed it, functional ... seriously confusing. My consultant has arranged a laparoscopy for 2 weeks time as he considers the scans to be a poor diagnostic tool and he wants a look!

So -  functional - likely or no? And what else might be causing this pain? I didn't get a chance to go over this with my consultant - I know I need to do that but I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer before I get to see him again. I also have a low blood count but my CA125 test was fine.  

Thanks for reading - Riona
1 Responses
483733 tn?1326802046
Whether they are functional or not, the odds are that they are benign - over 95% are.  I'm glad this doctor is taking it seriously though.  Cysts can cause pain.  If you go to the health pages (top right) you will see some good information on types of cysts and symptoms.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.