Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cysts Community
6.07k Members

What next

Hi I am new to this form, on Monday I went for a scan for my gallbader an they found a mass on my overies and uters. having a CT on Thursday but I am not sure what happen, what are steps .I am scared any answers you could give me would help my sanity right now  . Thank you
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
Welcome to the community. I am sorry you are dealing with this! Thankfully, for women who do not have a family history / predisposition for ovarian cancer, their lifetime risk is less than 2% (U.S. government statistics say 1.3%).

Ovarian cysts are very common and are a normal part of the menstrual cycle. Some just tend to hang around longer than normal. And there are some that are abnormal but even most of those are benign (non-cancerous). Most ovarian cysts resolve on their own in 2 to 3 cycles.

Fibroids are the most common growths in the uterus and are benign. Many women do not even know they have fibroids or ovarian cysts as they don't always cause symptoms.

Unfortunately, many women unnecessarily lose organs (the uterus and/or ovaries) for these types of growths that oftentimes need no treatment or  conservative treatment is all that is needed (medication or surgery to remove just the growths - cysts or fibroids - just as would be done if you had a growth anywhere else on the body).

I was over-treated for an ovarian cyst and it has caused more harm than good. All that should have been removed was the cyst but my gynecologist removed both ovaries, my uterus, and tubes. I have lost the vital lifelong functions of these organs which has caused a whole laundry list of problems since that day 9 years ago.

Please make sure you get specifics on these growths and do your research on treatment options (if any treatment is even necessary). Unfortunately, we have to be our own health advocates since we are the ones who have to live with the short and long-term consequences.

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.