Ovarian Cysts Community

free fluid in the cul-de-sac and adnexae

hello. my doctor doesn't seem concerned with my sonography but i'd like to ask if there is anything to worry about since i have free fluid in the cul-de-sac and adnexae and a 7mm cyst in my right ovary. thank you!

-m
---
Examination: SONOGRAPHY OF THE PELVIS
Indication: Suprapubic discomfort; sharp pain slightly relieved after bowl movement;
distended "pouchy" look to pelvic area and lower abdomen

The uterus is positioned normally measuring 4.3 x 7.7 x 3.5 cm.
Uniform morphology and echotexture.  Endometrial stripe complex
has a normal morphology and a full-thickness of between 8 and 9
mm.  Both ovaries positioned normally.  The right ovary measures
2.8 x 1.6 cm with 7 mm cyst.  The left ovary  positioned normally
measuring  2.4 x 1.7 cm with numerous small follicles.  Small
amount of fluid in the cul-de-sac and adnexae.

IMPRESSION:  
1. Small amount of free fluid in the cul-de-sac and adnexae.
2. Otherwise normal sonography of the uterus and ovaries.  No
additional adnexal masses.
It sounds like you could have had a cyst that no longer appears on ultrasound that ruptured.  Many cysts become fluid filled and disperse the fluid upon rupture, which then has to be reabsorbed.  That causes pain and swelling/distention until it resolves itself.  How long depends on how much needs to be reabsorbed but it could be longer than you would like (weeks). Other than checking for infection, which I assume the doctor would have done, and treating for the pain, you had good results from that test.