Ovarian Cysts Community

large cyst with solid mass

Hello ladies, I am new to this forum and really glad i found it as it is putting my mind at rest already.
I went to my doctor on Wednesday as I noticed my lower abdomen was rounded and firm. She thought I was 20 weeks pregnant from feeling it but I knew I wasn't. I had an ultrasound the next day, then today went to doctor for blood test and ultrasound result. It is a 15 cm Cyst, they think on an ovary, with a 4x6cm solid mass and some lines thru the fluid (cant think what they are called now). I am 37 and have had no pain until today mild period type pain (maybe mind over matter!) I've got an appointment with doc again next Wednesday (5 days time due to new year holidays) for blood results and she will refer me to gynaecology. I have been stressing about it being cancerous and really just looking for reassurance! I have 3 year old twins and can't bear the thought of not seeing them grow up. Has anyone had a similar cyst and can reassure me? Thank you and happy new year!
Hi Mazjak, I went through a similar scenario and I too was worried about cancer. Most cysts are non-cancerous and given your age, highly unlikely. Try not to worry too much. I know the waiting is the worst part. The good thing is they found it and can move forward with either removing it, shrinking it, etc.  I would think that based on the size they will have to remove it?  Unfortunately I've had a crash course over the past few months on ovarian cysts and endometriosis.  

I also went to a regular doc for side pain and she gave me a gyno exam and she said she felt a "hard mass and my pelvic felt hard and frozen and she couldn't feel my ovaries". So straight to the gyno I went and for the MRI.  She looked concerned and I was feeling really uneasy.  I know that the waiting part is the worst. And especially this time of year. Try  I ended up having my right grapefruit sized cyst removed and they had to remove my right ovary. They also discovered endometriosis and they found a golf ball size cyst near left ovary. I'm bring treated with lupron for this cyst to shrink it so surgery isn't necessary.  

The surgery for removing it wasn't too bad, short recovery time overall.  Please keep me posted  on next week's outcome.

That is quite a large cyst. If you have not been having much symptoms from it,  that is probably a good sign. A cancerous growth is cancer from the beginning, so at that size, I would think you'd be feeling much worse than described. Still, it is going to need surgical removal just because of the size. Try to get a gynecologist/oncologist to perform the surgery. They are much better surgeons if they are available in your area. You can read my story in my profile. I hope it helps you.
HI Mazjak, I can totally relate to your worry, and the waiting is the worst part.  Many benign cysts contains solid parts.  I have a 10cm mass that had low level echos throughout the fluid, which they drained, its now a 7cm solid mixed echogenic mass that they think is a dermoid.  These can contain hair, teeth and skin.  98% are benign, and they form inside the ovary.  Mine is inside my ovary, they could only tell because I had keyhole surgery when it was drained.  I am now having it removed completely 11th Jan.  I havent had symptoms with mine either.  Yours will need surgical removal and it will be tested after its removed.
Thank you all for your replies. My first bout of waiting is nearly over, I will get the blood test results tomorrow so am trying not to worry, but it's difficult! With a cyst this large (15cm) I'm wondering why I don't really have any symptoms, as it seems lots of people with smaller cysts are in a lot of pain. I hope having no symptoms is a good sign rather than bad but am too scared to look on the ovarian cancer pages!
Just to let you know I got my blood test results this morning, the ca125 level is 28 so within the normal range. A bit of a relief but I know it can be misleading so I am still worrying! I have an appt at the hospital tomorrow so I will learn more then about what happens next.
I am glad your CA125 is 28.  x
Thanks sconnie! I met my consultant today, he is a gyn-oncologist and is fairly happy it will be benign - he said 'if you were a horse I'd bet on you!' which is good enough for me! My surgery will be on 17th Jan to remove the mass and ovary and tube (hopefully everything else will be ok!) I have been v impressed so far with the speed of the nhs, I only went to my gp about it a week ago, never expected it to go thru so fast. Hope your surgery goes well x
Hi Mazjak, you are lucky to get a gyno and oncologist on the NHS! my is just a gyno, but he has 30 years experience and everyone seems to rate him. I also have to say they operated on me within 14 days of my orginal scan,although they didnt do what I thought they would do (they only drained it) they still reacted, and since I have also gate crashed my gyno's clinic without an appointment and he has seen me (after I have waited in his busy clinic) because of my anxiety and worry.  He tried to get me in sooner before xmas for my second surgery, he phoned there and then in front of me to check all the surgeons surgery list, but it was full and then because of xmas and new year it made it worse.  It will have been 8 weeks from my 1st surgery to my 2nd, so I am hoping and praying nothing has gone untoward.  I wish he took it the first time, but thats another long story.  Hopefully I will be able to tell you next week the recovery and experience of laparotomy, I was scared of anesthetic, but I am not now, it was over so quickly last time when I had keyhole, even though I was under for 2 hours, as I also had dye through my tubes, the hospital were great, the nurses were, cleaning all the time and checking on you, I just think some areas must have bad NHS, because I found mine to be great.  Touch wood.  I even started to question why I do the job I do, because nurses and doctors are amazing, they are doing something worthwhile and helping people. Anyway I am rambling, glad you feel relaxed and good about your mtg with your gyno. My CA125 was 8.1, but I am still paraniod because I think its more relevant to ovarian surface epithiteal cancer, and whatever I have is inside my ovary, a germ cell tumour - hopefully a benign dermoid. Hope you have a relaxing weekend

Yvonne
I know how scary it can be to face such a large cyst.  I have had several large cysts and my nerves are shot each time I get one.  I'm glad that you already have your surgery scheduled and that your CA125 was in normal range.  Most cysts are benign and your age is encouraging.  I'm wondering if you have a dermoid cyst.  They usually get large and have solid components.  The good news is that almost all dermoid cysts are non-cancerous.  Has your doctor said if your incision will be horizontal or vertical?  I have had both and think that the vertical takes a tad bit longer to recover from.  Please know that we are here for you to lend you support and help any way we can.  Praying that surgery is a huge success and that you are on the road to recovery in no time.  
Thank you both for your responses. Sconnie - will be thinking of you next week, hope it all goes well for you. It would be great if you can let me know how you get on and any useful tips you may have! I am so glad I found this forum, it makes you feel like you're not alone and its good to hear of other's similar experiences.
Fungirl - mine is going to be a horizontal cut so hopefully not too bad. Sorry to hear you have had several of these horrid things. I still don't understand why they grow and why some people keep getting them. I hope once this is out I won't grow more on the other side. I am lucky I have my kids and don't want any more but it would be horrible to have all hormonal influences removed. I will keep you posted with how I get on x
Thanks Mazjak, I am hoping to be home by next Friday, in the pre-op the nurse said it just depends how quickly you heal and get up walking, but she thinks I will be in Tuesday - Thurs or Friday.  I was also wondering if yours was a dermoid they way you have explained it.  I have been given a leaflet that says to take in a dressing gown (to keep your dignity as those sexy surgery dresses are open at the back, ha!) and some comfy slippers, I think I am also going to take a pillow to put on my stomach on the way home, as I have a cute westie dog that likes to jump all over me, and I cant be having that!.  No makeup or nail polish allowed. You will have a pre-op too, they take your bloods, weigh you, check your pressure (mine was high because I have been constantly anxious) pre-op only takes about half an hour, I had it on Wednesday.  Cant wait for it to be out, its been hitching a free ride for too long.  

I also find this website comforting, because at times I do feel alone, and my partner doesnt understand, he is just 'Doctor thinks its fine, why worry'  easy for you to say when your are not in the position.  I even said how would you feel if you found a 4 inch growth on your testicle, he said I wouldnt worry till I really needed to.  But its the unknown and the waiting I think. Its not like you can even see it, and check what its doing! Its hidden inside and its not a nice feeling.  

I will deffinately let you know how I went on.  The Keyhole surgery was easy, I dont expect this laparotomy to be the same, but the anesthesia was fine, I didnt feel sick, and I had no pain in the inch cut they did...apart from a few days later when the stitches started to tighten, they hurt the most.
Thanks sconnie. I actually had my pre-op yesterday after I saw the consultant, my hospital seems to be ultra efficient, I'm v impressed (so far!) You couldn't get better service if you went private! I'm sorry your partner hasn't been very understanding. I'm the opposite, my husband has been as worried as me, if not more so - I think he suddenly realised how much he needs me! In a way it's nice but equally you need someone to be strong for you and to stop you getting too depressed, I think we just made each other worse! Feeling much happier now we know the chances of cancer are small tho.

Are you taking nighties or pjs to wear in hospital? I wasn't sure what would be best. Also not sure whether to get 'big' knickers that will go over the dressing or just normal ones. Or maybe it doesn't matter! X
By the way I don't know if it's a dermoid or not, no-one has said - maybe they won't know til it comes out
Normally the radiologist gives an indication of what it looks like, my report said most likely an endometrioma or hemorgraphic cyst, but it turned out to be neither of those! But I know that endometriomas can mimic a dermoid, and since he drained fluid, he thinks its the fluid of a dermoid.  

My partner is a realist, and he always says about anything 'think good before thinking bad' or 'think positive'.  He believes if you worry when at the moment there maybe not need to things may manifest and make you ill in other ways, which in a way it has, because I have gone from 9stone to 7 stone 10ibs when I was weighed yesterday.  I have completely lost my appetite though worry and not been myself at all, I havent gone into work, but luckily I have been able to work from home, but everyone reacts to things differently, my partner listens to the doctor, where I have questioned everything he has done and have took more notice of the internet, which he thinks is wrong.

I am taking PJ's, big ones that  my mum bought me from last time because I know my stomach will swell, and some bigger type knickers, I am worried because I havent had a period since my last operation 20th November, I know keyhole can mess with your periods, and I keep feeling like I am going to come on, but I am going to go and get a pregnancy test later.  After all the time we have been trying, then we find the cyst, I have dye put through my tubes, Id be amazed if I got pregnant, at the same time if I come on before Tuesday I am wondering if they will still do the op?! I think they will, but it would be weird.  If I am pregnant, god knows what will happen.   As much as I want a baby, I hope I am not for this operation to go ahead
You poor thing losing all that weight thru worry. I can see how it can happen tho, as u have had so many weeks of worrying - last week when my gp seemed so convinced I was pregnant I weighed myself and was 57kg, as I have been for at least the last 15 years. Yesterday I was 54kg, after just one week of worrying - like you I just haven't had any appetite. Now my consultant has put my mind at rest, hey presto I am hungry again! The mind is a very powerful thing and your partner is right when he says worrying can do more harm than good, but it's not easy to just stop is it! Have you done your pregnancy test yet? Maybe it's the worrying and lack of food stopping your periods? Did u mention it at your pre-op?
You both will be fine I had the big op 5 months ago, but have to go through it all again, but after the op you will have a morphine pump and I felt nothing the first day, but I was on my feet a few hours after the op has the gas build up I had in my abdomen was bad so I needed to walk about, my op was very long and complicated due to adhesions but you will be fine, I was relieved to get the thing outta me, but mine was an emergency and I had got myself in a right state and you do worry, I remember coming round in recovery and I thought I was dreaming there was a guy at the side of me trying to grapple with the nurses I thought I died and gone to hell i thought I was hallucinating, I had my op done on the thursday and i went home on the sunday, because I wanted to do, was not such a good idea going home to soon as I collapsed, take it easy girls because you will be tierd afterwards and just listen to your body, dont over do it like I did,and the best thing I took into hospital with me was a packet of extra strong mints and pepper mints, the extra strong mints were for after my op I always get a sore throat after the op because of the tubes, best 2 things I had on me, I also just wore my normal underwear.
Hope all goes well for you and sconnie try not to worry easier said then done, Ive been there and again now.
Thanks Tinabro, good advice about the mints.  I have just found out I am pregnant yesterday, I just cannot believe after years of trying, and I get pregnant just as I am about to have an operation, my gyno doesnt work Mondays, my op is on Tuesday, I am guessing the wont do it now, and I will have to wait until a safe time to operate knowing this thing is still inside me.  I think I am 8 weeks.  The last keyhole surgery must have done something!  I feel I cannot celebrate knowing I have this growth and its all be made complicated now, the worry will continue.  
Oh my god I can't believe you are pregnant! Congratulations! I know you have mixed feelings what with the cyst and op etc but it's still great news, I'm sure they will work something out. I don't know anything about pregnancy and cysts/surgery but I'm sure when u speak to the hospital they will advise u. That seem sure it is benign so maybe it won't hurt to leave the cyst there until after the baby is born? I would call the hospital tomorrow, maybe you can speak to another member of the gyn team. Let us know what they say and try to stop worrying and start eating and putting some weight on for the sake of that little miracle growing inside you! Xx
Thank you for telling your experiences, it is really helpful to hear what it can be like. I have been assuming I will go home on the 3rd day but I guess I should be prepared to stay longer if necessary. Thanks for the tip about the mints too, it's little things like that that can make a difference and you only find out from someone else who has been thru it! X
I cannot believe I am pregnant either, after years of trying, and then the 1 month before a major op that I so wanted, I am pregnant.  They have cancelled it, they refused to do the operation, I have to see my specialist on Thursday to discuss next Steps.  I am hoping he will agree to remove it at about 14 weeks, I guess I need to know the risks.  I just cant believe I have it hanging over my head still, I think I am going to start charging it rent or something, thinking it can hitch a ride in my ovary for so long.  Lol.   Good look with your op Mazjak. xxx