Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

repeated cysts

I know I don't have cancer yet. At 17 the doctor removed my left ovary along with a 4.5 lb fibroid cyst.
It was 8in long and 5.5in wide. At 27, while pregnant, I had another start growing on my right ovary.
The doctor took it with a laser. He drained 4 liters of fluid off and reconstructed. Now I'm having pain in my
right side again. I went to another doctor for ultrasound. He found another cyst. Which he said was causing pain
in my right side. He scheduled a followup appointment in 2 months to check to see if it is growing. My
question is this. Would I be better off to just have a hysterectomy? Also could this just be a warning sign for cancer?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
356929 tn?1246389756
That's understandable... The good thing that size doesn't necessarily have a correlation to cancer. There have been some really large cysts on this forum !! There is a danger  though of having these large cysts rupture or twist which can cause all sorts of problems so that's why they like to keep a good eye on them. You didn't say how large this one is at this point. Sure hope it resolves itself but I think your Dr. is doing the right thing. However, if your pain becomes worse or even if you feel that 2 months is too long to wait, you might ask your Dr. to order the TVUS in 6 weeks rather than the 2 months..

Good luck and keep us posted..
Sandy
Helpful - 0
356929 tn?1246389756
That's understandable... The good thing that size doesn't necessarily have a correlation to cancer. There have been some really large cysts on this forum !! There is a danger  though of having these large cysts rupture or twist which can cause all sorts of problems so that's why they like to keep a good eye on them. You didn't say how large this one is at this point. Sure hope it resolves itself but I think your Dr. is doing the right thing. However, if your pain becomes worse or even if you feel that 2 months is too long to wait, you might ask your Dr. to order the TVUS in 6 weeks rather than the 2 months..

Good luck and keep us posted..
Sandy
Helpful - 0
Thanks I have been dealing with this for 10 years. The doctors wanted to do a hysterectomy sfter I had my son. It's just that they grow so large. That it does scare me.
Helpful - 0
356929 tn?1246389756
Hi,
    First, let me suggest you check out the top right of this page "Health Pages" .It has a lot of information about cysts.. I'm really sorry you've been dealing with this for such a long time now.
   Cysts are very very common in premenopausal women and are 95 % benign. Please don't jump to any conclusion about cancer. The usual course of treatment is exactly what is being done--- watching to see if it resolves itself and if not, possible surgery is an option. Not necessarily a hysterectomy. That's major surgery and you surely don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary...
    And, no... cysts are not necessarily a warning sign for cancer. Actually we all get them .. they are a part of your cycle and most don't cause any problems. Sometimes, however they do not disappear and may become very large and cause problems.. Try not to worry and let us know how things go..

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cysts Community

Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.