Pain Management Community

Advance from PO pain meds to Patches

If you had been on Pain meds ie: Vicoden, Percocet & others and it was causing extreme stomach/epigastric problems, would you feel OK to start Durogesics for severe FBS?
Hi Joan,

There are a lot of chronic pain patients that went from oral opiates to fentanyl patches for that very reason.

In my opinion, we should be "okay" with any treatment, opiate or not, that isn't harmful, our physician prescribes, it controls our pain, improves our sleep and gives us back some quality of life.

Just my Two Cents Worth,
~Tuck
Hello Joan,

I was on Lortab 7.5/500 for 7 years.  Then I went to a Neurologist who could tell how UNDER medicated I was and IMMEDIATELY sent me to a PM - Pain Management - Doctor.  My WONDERFUL PM had ALL of my records and offered me ANY of the "Big Dog" meds - Morphine - I'm allergic to it - to Methadone, to Opana, to Oxycontin as well as to the Fentanyl Patch.  I chose the Patch so I could cut down on the number of pills that I need to take.  I ALSO take Percocet 10/325 up to 3 times a day for BT - Break Through - Pain. Normally I only have to take 1/2 of a Percocet 3 times a day. So it has cut me back TREMENDOUSLY on the amount of pain medication that I have to take.

I LOVE my patch as it has taken ALMOST all of my pain away.  I've just had surgery and my patches were raised after it and I am NOW cutting back on the amount of the patches - hoping to get back down to at LEAST 50 mcg's or maybe even 35 mcg's - I'm now at 100 mcg's and after the surgry I was at 125 mcg's .  

I'm cutting back because I don't want to become immune to them since they work so well for me. It's my hope that I will be able to use these for the rest of my life since they are the PERFECT pain medication for me.

As far as I know these are the strongest pain medication available.  I know that they are approximately 80 times stronger than Morphine. Therefore, you need to understand that once you are immune to these it will be VERY difficult to find anything that will be as strong and give you the amount of relief that you get from the Patches.

I'm assuming that you were having stomach problems from the pills and therefore went on the Patches.  Most people DON'T have stomach problems from the patches - HOPEFULLY you won't either.

Just so that you know - I have SEVERE DDD that encompasses my ENTIRE spine, as well as osteoarthritis throughout my ENTIRE body as well as a hip joint that was loose and would move in and out of place.  I've JUST had surgery to take care of that and I'm recovering from that at this very moment.

I wish you the VERY best and I hope that the Patch will give you the relief that I have received from it!!!

PLEASE keep us updated on your fight for pain relief.......Sherry
Hi Joan,

I have bad stomach issues with most pain pills. I have had a few surgeries and all my stomach could handle was Vicodin 5/500. Like what you get at the dentist office. I did try all the big dogs but they made me nauseous. The 500 is the amount of Tylenol. I got Fibromyalgia in my 40's and for pain I went from 2 to 4 Vicodin a day . This dose finally stopped working after 4 years and I can't go any higher on the Tylenol as it is 200 mgs right now.

My doctor tried me on Methadone a few weeks ago because it is something I can take long term. It is very effective for pain and is cheap. I'm on 20 mg 3 times a day and my pain is under control. I will let you know if it lasts. The problem with some drugs is the body gets used to them and they don't work anymore or the side effects are worse then the pain.

I am thinking of trying the patch if this doesn't last but I am not sure if my insurance covers it. With pain medication less is better if you will be on it for life. If you ever need surgery you need something stronger then what you are on.

Good Luck!