Pain Management Community

Any tips to manage kidney stone pain?

I am a 34yr old woman, and upto a couple of years ago, have been in pretty good health. I've had a few problems, such as pelvic inflammatory disease and irritable bowel etc., but nothing compared to what is happening to me now! In February 2011 I started getting pain and generally feeling rough. I managed to cope with it until May, and then I was hospitalised with severe pain in my left kidney and down into my groin. Tests found that I was severely anaemic and dehydrated, but couldn't find a reason for the pain. I eventually had a C.T scan which showed that I had several kidney stones in both kidneys and one in my tube. I had a stent fitted to help the stone move, but that gave me a lot of pain too. Anyway, to cut a long story short I have been in severe pain for two and half years now, so bad that I can't work (I used to run a pub). I've had several procedures in that time (stents, lithotripsy, extractions) but I just keep making stones and passing them. I've spent around 20weeks in hospital over that time, and my urologist has confirmed that I now have a "chronic condition" which can't really be helped. I take cocodamol, tramadol, or oramorph (morphine) depending on how bad the pain is. I also take zomorph every day (slow release morphine) along with anti-sickness, anti-depressants, potassium citrate (none of which I took before all of this). I barely leave my room, let alone the house because of the pain or being "drugged up". I've lost my job and my relationship is falling apart, and worst of all I've lost my sense of self. I no longer have a life, I just exist day by day. I need to get my life back, but I just don't know how. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks for reading. x
Hi!
Recurrent kidney stones are found renal tubular acidosis, medullary sponge kidney, Dent's disease (genetic disease of the kidney), hyperparathyroidism, primary hyperoxaluria and Crohn's disease. Diet high in animal fiber, dehydration, and low calcium intake can also cause recurrence of stones.
Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor and see if you suffer from any of these disorders. Treating these would help reduce pain. Also you have to find a dietician who specializes in nutrition in renal diseases. Taking care of your diet and water intake is very important. Do discuss this with your doctor or take a second opinion from another nephrologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks so much for your reply. My first Urologist diagnosed medullary sponge kidney, but he had now explanation for the constant. I was referred to another urologist who didn't really agree, but after a lot more tests he did confirm that I have renal tubular acidosis. I'm taking potassium citrate to try and slow down the stone production. Again, he can't tell me why i'm in pain every day, regardless of whether i'm passing a stone or not. I'd appreciate any more ideas about this, if anyone can help me. I really am starting to feel like there's nowhere else to go with this, and I've just got to accept that this is as good as i'm going to get.
I will certainly look into seeing a specialist dietician, thank you. I'm willing to try anything, even if they told me I have to eat poo every day and then i'd have no more pain - I would do it!!!
Thanks everyone. x
Thanks so much for your reply. My first Urologist diagnosed medullary sponge kidney, but he had no explanation for the constant pain. I was referred to another urologist who didn't really agree, but after a lot more tests he did confirm that I have renal tubular acidosis. I'm taking potassium citrate to try and slow down the stone production. Again, he can't tell me why i'm in pain every day, regardless of whether i'm passing a stone or not. I'd appreciate any more ideas about this, if anyone can help me. I really am starting to feel like there's nowhere else to go with this, and I've just got to accept that this is as good as i'm going to get.
Thanks everyone. x