Pain Management Community

BAD knee pain showed up MONTHS after injury.

Hi there,  
Back in June I fell while running in the dark.  I hit the inside of my right knee really hard in the ground resulting in some bruising, swelling and a small lump on the left side down to the lower left of the cap of my right knee cap (3 o'clock-6'oclock).  Everything went away after about a week or so but I could still feel a small lump under the skin which wasn't viable to the eye. This eventually went away as well.  Fast forward to about a month ago i slowly started to get pain in the same knee.  The pain starts if my leg is bent in a resting position i.e. sitting, driving, sitting cross legged on the floor like you would in elementary school (this is the worst pain causing position) or my legs crossed in a chair.  The pain also flairs up if I'm pulling on my leg i.e when i take off a pair of boots and the shaft of the boot pulls on the knee and ankle joint while pulling it off.  Today I noticed pain my my right hip the same time my knee was hurting...might be related, maybe not.  The pain is behind my knee on the back side of my leg and also the outside of the knee joint, on really bad days the pain will also flair up where the initial injury occurred.  I do not have when when walking, running, or other physical activities.  Any advice would be helpful since I do not have insurance.  
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If the pain comes on bending the knee as in walking step or running downhill or down a flight of stairs, then it could be due to Patellofemoral syndrome or runners knee. This happens due to mal-alignment of the knee cap on bending the knee (and hence any imaging study has to be taken with the knee bent), injury to the knee (you may have sustained it in past), flat feet, over tight or over lax muscles around the knee joint. All these aspects will have to be investigated by your doctor. Other possibilities are bursitis (inflammation of fluid filled sac over joints), tendonitis (inflammation of cords joining muscles to bones) or due to weakness of patellar bone. Please discuss all these possibilities with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.