Pain Management Community

Chronic Neck Pain

Hi. I am new to the Pain Management community but I am hopeful I can get some help and support. It is so lonely,as you all know, looking so normal on the outside and suffering so much on the inside. Luckily, I have a very supportive husband and family.

I have had manageable neck pain for many years, but it became chronic and intolerable about two years ago. I did not make the connection at the time, but it was when I started having major problems with my teenage daughter. I have consulted with an orthopedist, 2 neurologists, an osteopath, two chiropractors, a MD/accupuncturist, two massage therapists, and two physical therapists. Everyone was very dilligent in trying to help me but no one has been able to.
I have been prescribed anti-inflammatories, non-narcotic pain relievers (skelaxin and tramadol), hydrocodone, flexeril, and lyrica. Some have helped for a while but not long term. I use ice and a tens-unit which help short term. I am at my wits end as to what to do next.

I have two degenerated discs (C-5 and C-6) but have come to believe it is muscular. It's like my muscles just tense up all the time and throb and ache. I have learned to reduce the stress in my life and luckily work at home so I can take breaks from working throughout the day, but I am not getting any better. Are there any combinations of medicines that seem to work best? What about hypnosis or bio-feedback? I am open to trying anything!

Thanks for any help or input you can provide.
Hi Sabra,

I am so sorry that you are struggling with such pain. We all know that it is very challenging. I'd like to welcome to MedHelp. I am glad you found us on the Pain Management Forum. It has been a lifesaver for me and I am confident you will find the same. Our members know what you are going through. All of us have CP and suffer in varying degrees at varying times.

It sounds like you have had a variety of physicians that have all tried to help you. You can be grateful for that but not so grateful as you are still suffering. It also sounds as though you have tried the usual medication regimens. I could name a multitude of medications to try but none of them may be right for you.

In my opinion there is a better choice. I encourage you to locate a good pain management clinic/physician.  They can coordinate all your tests results, maybe do a few new ones and prescribe the right medications for you. They usually do trial and error until they discover what combination works the best. They will also determine if you have muscle, skeletal, nerve pain or a possible combination two or more of them. I would not hesitate to make an appt or if your insurance requires it, ask for a referral from your PCP.

We are here for you. Others will post with different opinions and information. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I'll be watching for your updates.
Take care, Tuck
Thanks Tuck for you help and words of encouragement. Actually, one of the neurologists I saw was a pain specialist. he looked at my MRI and offered the following: non- narcotic pain relievers, epidural between the discs, epidural into the muscles on the side of the neck and one more thing that I can't remember. I tried them all and none worked. so where do I go from here?
I was wondering too if anyone has discovered a connection between anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds and pain in the muscles. i take both and went online this morning and discovered some information that there may be a link. I am going to start weaning myself off as I am beginning to belived that maybe this is something I am ingesting that I am allergic to or is interfering with the normal function of my muscles.
hi and welcome. i have 4 hernated disc in my back have had back surgery it took my 11 yrs before a dr sent me to a good pain mangement dr, i know it is frustrating, but hang in there and find a good pain dr, it may take some time but they are out there, mine saved my life
Hi jollyman. what did the pain dr. prescribe that was different from all the others and made such a difference for you?
Hello. I am sorry to hear of the constant pain you suffer with. I'm wondering what makes you think that the pain is Muscular? It sounds very much to me as if the Cervical area really is the culprit. Have you had a recent MRI or Scan? I would defifitly consult your Physician. I have had Surgery on that very area of the neck with pain just like yours and I ended up having a fusion. I had degeneration at C5&6 also. My muscles were also very sore.

Take care and I hope things get better for you.

Mollyrae
thanks for writing back! I think it is muscular because that is where I feel the pain.  Also, I did have an MRI and the neurologist said that they don't know for sure if that is where the pain comes from and that surgery would not be a good choice for me... That they see a lot of patients with degenerative discs and they can fuse them and the patients still have pain.  did your fusion solve the problem?