Pain Management Community

Crohn's and pain mgt

I'm new to this forum.  I have several things going on with my body.  I have crohn's, enteropathic arthritis,  lupus, hosimoto thyroid and back issues...oh, DDD and osteoarthritis.  I have retrolethesis at L3.  Disk is pushing in, out os alignment on my spinal chord.  The pain mgt doc gave me an epideral of steroids in Dec., it escalated the pain in my right leg, hips and back.  He recently started me on butrans 5mcg/hr.  It's help with the back pain.  GI doc wanted me off...concerned about side effects.  I pulled the patch and left messages for pain doc 3 days).  The pain came back I was in tears.  On the day I was suppose to replace the patch I put one on.  It took a couple days, ah relief.  
I get the GI and his concerns.  I don't have surgery scheduled until June.   I know going without pain mgt I can't make it.

Long story to get to the question..is there anyone with IBD that has had pain mgtthat worked with their digestive issues?  Any help would be appreciated!  Insights...suggestions...
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Crohn’s disease is associated with 3 types of arthritis: arthritis of big joints (you have hip joint involvement—popping or clicking sound indicates arthritis); arthritis of spinal joints-you have intense back ache on lying down; and arthritis of spine with deformity, inflammation of heart, lung and eyes. The last form is a rare form. Arthritis may begin before the actual symptoms due to simultaneous inflammation of gut and joints or it may develop later.

Treating the bowel symptoms of Crohn’s disease will treat arthritis like symptoms too. Any flare in Crohn’s symptoms can worsen the pain (both abdominal and joint pain). Low vitamin D and low vitamin B12 are often seen in chronic suffers of Crohn’s due to mal-absorption of these vitamins. These cause nerve and bone pain. So, it is important to measure their levels and correct any deficiency.  Pain management usually involves acetaminophen, aminosalicylates and steroids.

Opiod pain killers can be taken if they are not worsening the symptoms. However, if you have a surgery coming up, it is best to avoid opioids. Symptoms of Crohn’s should be managed with diet and biological therapies.

To manage the pain of DDD, arthritis and back issues you can try non-pharmacological pain management therapies such as: ice packs, heat pads, massage therapy, physiotherapy, yoga, meditation, hydrotherapy, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), spinal cord stimulation, radiofrequency ablation, other types of neurolytic blocks, aromatherapy, Reiki, acupressure and acupuncture, guided imagery and biofeedback. Usually a combined approach of a pain killer and a non-medication therapy helps give best pain relief.

Also, if lupus is not under control, this can also cause pain. So, this should also be appropriately treated. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.