Pain Management Community

Cymbalta?

Hello all,
At my last appt., my dr. gave me a list of meds that might help with the chronic nerve pain I suffer from due to multiple surgeries. As I posted before, I wanted to try starting with neurontin. I have also been looking into Cymbalta. My dr wants to explore other options other than just the opiate route to help with the pain, and I agree we should see what works for me. We are hoping that since the different types of medications work on different receptors of the brain, that we will reduce the need to increase the opiate if we find something else that works. Anyway...
Has anyone tried Cymbalta? If so, how did it work for you? Any side effects? Any experiences, good or bad, that you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Keri :)
p.s. an EXTREME turn off to the neurontin: dizzines- I already have a vertigo disorder, fatigue- I am in college with 2 young kids and need not be tired, and weight gain- I am at a healthy weight now and want to keep it that way. I am thinking Cymbalta might be the route to go. We'll see :)
I think most meds deserve a chance.  I have multiple chronic pain conditions inducing fibro.  I am assuming you have some type of nerve pain as the meds you have listed are used primarily in that area.  I took neurontin but it did not provide good pain relief for me. I am taking Lyrica now and have responded much better.  

I have issues with depression and anxiety and have been on an SSRI for over a decade with good results.  My PCP also wanted to try Cymbalta and titrated me off my SSRI and into Cymbalta.  I nearly had to be hospitalized due to very, very dark thoughts and hopelessness.  I was quickly put back on my SSRI and taken off of Cymbalta. This of course is my personal experience and not applicable to all.  

I have just currently titrated up to the "typical" does of Savella a brand new drug in the Cymbalta family. Savella is also a SNRI.  I have done much better with Savella and was kept on my original SSRI.  However, the verdict is still out on Savella as I have been having some depression issues.  My family is going through a large transition so I am waiting to see where I am at when the situation factors subside.

Long story even longer ;) be careful and talk to your doctor if you have or have ever had any issues with depression or anxiety.  As for fatigue and vertigo issues it is sad that most of the meds used for pain cause fatigue.  It sounds like your doc is willing to try different meds to find what works for you.  I have vague nerve issues so I too have to be careful of signs of vertigo as I will faint. There is no easy answer but I wish you luck on your journey.

Michelle