Pain Management Community

Kidney stone advice/help

Hi, I am 42 year old female with lower back pain for three weeks. I have had two kidney stones in the past. My doctor found blood and protein in my urine and gave me Lortab 5's and nausea meds on my first visit. After calling to check on me and finding out the stone had not passed I went in to see her again last Friday. Blood and protein were again found in my urine so my doctor is referring me to a urologist (appt in 2 wks). In the meantime she gave me an anti inflammatory shot again (toradol), flomax, diuretic, antibiotic and more pain medication.  Stone does not seem to be moving but I am still hurting badly in lower back. Could this be something besides a stone (lower back pain-protein and blood in urine)? Is it normal to have pain off and on for several weeks? (the lower back pain always is present when bending over--pain in my side was bad this weekend but not excrutiating yet like my other stones were when they moved non-stop) My other stones passed in one night and in one week so this going on over three weeks I do not understand. Please any help appreciated.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. As long as the urinary or kidney stone is mobile, it does not cause pain. Once the stone gets stuck somewhere the pain starts. This pain thus comes and goes. It may however cause a persisting dull ache in the lower back. Usually stone less than 5mm have the capacity to pass out of the urinary system. Slightly larger stones may take time or may not be able to pass out. Also, stones present before the the bladder (in kidney and in promimal ureter) has less chance of expulsion than stones present in urethra or at the junction of bladder and urethra. Medications, such as a combination of tamsulosin and a corticosteroid are often given to help expel the stone. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Along with it you need to take plenty of fluids, cranberry juice, apple cider etc. If stone does not pass out, it can be broken by lithotripsy and this then flushes out of system with urine. Sometimes stone gets infected and this can cause worsening of symptoms. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.