Pain Management Community

Living with chronic pain

I have been in chronic pain for several years and have tried anything and everything to manage my pain.  I still have severe pain but I am going through a period where my pain is managable.  This could change at any minute.  I know from experience that I could have a new flare up and all my work and research about my condition seems all for naught.  My questions these days are much larger and impossible to answer such as why do so many people have to suffer pain, why isn't the medical community better adapted to providing pain control for so many people and why does the government in its claim to help provide medical care to the people legislate laws through the FDA and DEA that keep new medications that have been successfully used in Europe for treating pain from being available to patients who need the medication so much and why does the DEA after failing in its War On Drugs target doctors thereby causing more red tape and making physicians feel like they have to practice defensive medicine.

For many years, I have really wanted to do something to help make a difference but I have complex regional pain syndrome, Celiac Sprue, Abdominal Migraines, fibromyalgia like symptoms and a terminal degenerative brain disease so I spend most of my time in a recliner trying to help people the best I can by blogging, answering posts, doing research, etc.

I hope the fact that the baby boomer generation will be starting to move into their elderly years in a few years will increase a growing consumer health movement and more complete and accurate information will be available on the internet.

If you would like to read about how I am dealing with pain and my terminal illness, treatments I've used under my doctor's supervision and emotional feelings that go along with my feelings, feel free to visit me at Iamdying.net.  

Please realize that I am not advocating any form of treatment, you should always seek medical advice from your physician and I am just trying in a small way to help people who are going through the same kinds of things I am.
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am so sorry to hear about your illness and pain. My heart goes out to you.

I hear and understand your frustration. Many of the questions you are asking I have also asked. Instead of a war of drugs there some times seems to be a war on chronic pain patients. You are correct, physicians are forced to practice defensive medicine. Many times we are angry with the physician when we should be angry at the governmental agencies that regulate their prescriptions practices, often with a fine tooth comb.

I too am hoping that the Baby Boomer Generation that has been so successful at changing this world for the better will do continue to do so as they become senior citizens. There's a multitude is issues that need attention and as the largest population enters their retirement years and face the challenges I too am hoping for significant changes.

Please know that you are always welcome here. I wish you the very best.

Peace,
Tuck