Avatar universal

Need to find a doctor who is registered with TIRF REMS

Hi there,
My doctor of 10 years recently closed his practice and referred me to see a new pain specialist.   However, the new doctor is not registered with TIRF REMS  to be able to prescribe Actiq that I have been taking for 9 years.  I am post stage 3 breast cancer,  double mastectomy,  peripheral neuropathy and lymphedema to name a few of my issues  not to mention I have tried every opiod on the market and I'm also opiod tolerant. He stated that he is not willing to register and that I need to find a new Doctor who is. My problem is I have called over 52 clinics, 15 pharmacies the TIRF REMS 800 number.  Absolutely nobody can give me a name of a physician who is registered. How do I go about finding a dr? I am extremely frustrated & have ran out of options. Please help! Can you possibly point me in the right direction?.  I would be forever thankful!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
547368 tn?1440541785
Hello Nicki,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum at MedHelp. I apologize for my tardy response. I assume you've had not responses because no on could offer assistance.

I've done a search for Physicians that are qualified and registered with TIRF REMS. I too have turned up nothing. Sorry. I sincerely hope you have found one by now as I see it's been a week since you posted.

If you are still monitoring this site and have not found that registered PMP to RX Actiq please reply on this thread. Activity of this thread may help and we have a member that may have better suggestions that I.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. My best to you.

Take Care,
Helpful - 0
7721494 tn?1431627964
Many hospital generalists and oncologists are now TIRF REMS certified. Palliative care specialists are also getting the training, so these doctors are not as rare as they once were.

I'm sure you're familiar with the TIRF REMS website:


In the resources for patients section you'll find a phone number for helping you find TIRF REMS certified pharmacies:


Maybe they can also refer you to transmucosal fentanyl practitioners, also?

If I were you, I'd also call any local teaching hospital pain center and ask if their docs have the TIRF REMS certification (although, the trend in PM is moving away from the use of transmucosal fentanyl).

Have you tried alternatives, like the hydromorphone (Dilaudid) suppository?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community

Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches