Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pain Management Community
9.77k Members

Not sure if it is kidney stones

The day before Thanksgiving I started feeling some pains in my abdomen as if I were having a kidney infection.  So I took some OTC Azo meds to numb the burning sensations when I would go to the bathroom.  Pains got somewhat worse.  I could drive to the doc's office but was really in pain.  Urine test was inconlusive since I took Azo which masked what was in my urine, but the doc gave me a strong antibiotic thinking it was a kidney infection onset.

Thanksgiving morning...I woke up barely able to walk in a vertical position.  I went from a bent over position to almost a fetal position in a matter of two hours.  I was in so much pain I had a hard time talking and had labored breathing.  So I called an ambulance...no Macy's parade or turkey for me!  Yea!  :-(

Hospital took a urine test but didn't see blood.  They also did a pelvic and an ultrasound will no results.  After nine hours of just being dopped up on pain meds, I had excrited dark orange(almost pasty) urine that looked like it had little slivers of something in it.  About 5 minutes later I had the sensation to go again.  This time I say a fingernail sized "fleck" of black at the bottom of the toilet.  After all this I was able to walk out of the ER fine.  Ever since then though I have had some mild pain in the same area and am taking prescribed Percaset that the ER gave me.

Question:  What does a stone look like?  Everyone is telling me that I should have seen blood in my urine, the doc should've been able to see a stone on the ultrasound, and that stones are usually spikey and a tan color.

What's going on?
1 Responses
535089 tn?1400677119
Hello stacetheace:

Sorry to hear of the painful abdomen. What you have described also happened to me almost right down to the tee. The only difference was that I had the blood in the urine and the stools. What I was ultimately diagnosed with a really bad Gastrointestinal infection that evidently is sweeping the nation. It is a type of stomach flu that the Hospitals and clinics are seeing an awful lot of this season. My infection eventually went away in approx. 3 wks. from start to finish. I would give this a couple of weeks to run it's course. If you display symptoms after that then I would have more test run. Take care and good luck,
Mollyrae
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches