What opiate is recommended for switching off oxycontin? I have moderate to severe chronic pain, and the oxycontin just doesn't work well anymore
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
There are many other narcotic options other than oxycontin, however, what may work for one person may not work for another - therefore, it's virtually impossible to suggest what would be a good switch for you.  You're best off discussing this with your doctor - simply be honest wtih him/her and tell them that the oxycontin is not working very well anymore and ask if there is anything they can do.  They may decide that increasing your dose would be beneficial, or adding an additional medication, or switching to something new altogether.  However, this really is a decision/discussion that needs to happen between you adn your doctor/s.

Best of luck.
Helpful - 0
I agree whole heartedly with geminigirl's suggestions.  

Please have a heart -to -heart with your prescribing physician. Different medications work differently for ppl. We could list all the most popular opiates for pain management but it would not tell you what's best for you. Some of the choices will depend on what is producing your pain.

No one should have to suffer with poorly managed Chronic Pain. A simple change in medications or an additional med may help. Sometimes it doesn't have to be an opiate... there are medications that enhance the action of opiates or that addresses pain producing issues.  

Best of Luck,
~Tuck

Helpful - 0
I agree with Geminigirl and Tuckamore's comments that medications affect everyone differently and what may work for someone may not work well for you.  But given my recent medication change to Opana ER, I have found information all across the internet from other chronic pain patients that are being switched from Oxycontin to Opana ER due to their doctor's unwillingness to continue to prescribe the medication due to bad press and associated fear from DEA prosecution.  

Opana ER is the strongest opioid medication in pill form and the next tier up is the Fentanyl patch based on pharmacology.  It is 2x stronger than Oxycontin, again based on pharmacology (i.e., you may find that Oxycontin is more effective regardless of the fact that the strength of Oxycontin is lower than the strength of Opana Er.  I have never tried Oxycontin; however, my physician said that we would try it if the Opana ER isn't effective.  I have found Opana ER to be very effective in the management of my pain.  I still have pain that breaks through during the day but I have a lot more control of my pain throughout the day than I did when I was on MS Contin.  I have read many posts from chronic pain patients across the web and have found that with Opana ER, it is either a love or hate relationship and usually nothing inbetween.  

If you do want to ask your doctor about trying Opana ER you should know that the generic is much less effective than the brand.  Both the brand and generic have the same active ingredient, oxymorphone in extended release form; however, the generic uses inferior time release technology that increased my pain levels significantly 6 hours after dosing.  I did some research and the brand uses a patented TimerX -N technology that provides true 12 hour dosing versus fizzling out at 6-8 hours like other extended release formulations.  It has only been licensed to Endo pharmaceuticals from Penwest pharmaceuticals for the manufacturing of Opana ER.  Therefore, Actavis's generic pill does the contain this technology.  Opana is rather expensive for me even with insurance but it works so well that it is worth the $11 per pill that it costs.  I have heard that the generic Fentanyl patches can be rather expensive too.  I have confirmed with my doctor that brand oxymorphone indeed works better than generic oxymorphone for the reasons just mentioned.

There is also methadone but it has a tendency to build up in your system so dosing is very tricky.  If you decide that methadone is a medication you want to explore, be sure that you have a physician that has extra training on how to properly dose and titrate methadone.  

femmy
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community