Pain Management Community

Painfull hip area

I'm a 23 year old female and over the last 3-4 weeks have been getting increasingly bad hip pain. It's in both hips but mostly on the right hand side. There is occasionally some mild lower back pain but not much and it doesn't spread anywhere else.
It's not a sharp pain or a constant pain, but more of a constant aching. Sitting here right now typing this it's quite sore, also when I stand up, walk, lay down and move. I can't cross my legs while sitting as this is worse.
It doesn't hurt to touch, and there's no redness or swelling anywhere. It doesn't cause me to wake during the night, but it is harder to get to sleep as it's hard to get comfortable.
There is no history of this and everyday it's worse than the day before.
Any idea what could be the reason for this? It's getting worse everyday.
Hi and welcome to the community!

I am sorry to hear about the hip pain you have been experiencing.  It sounds so familiar to the hip pain I have.  It is worse when sitting and then after I get up from sitting the pain is hard to bear.  After I walk around for a little bit, the pain subsides some.  It also wakes me up early in the morning at 7:00-7:30 am, which is when my pain meds are beginning to taper off.

I have degenerative disc disease at L5 and S1 with spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis, and bone spurs.  I recently went in for my 6th epidural steroid injection and it helped A LOT with the hip pain and low back pain such that I can sit in my favorite arm chair comfortably and when I stand up, I don't have pain.  However, it has been 2 weeks since the injection and the sciatica is returning, unfortunately.  But the sciatica is intermittent so I can deal with that as long as it doesn't come back full force like it was 2 weeks before getting the injection.

I'm not saying that you have degenerative disc disease but your symptoms along with the fact they are worsening over time is picture perfect to my situation.  The doctors also believe I have SI joint dysfunction on top of everything else.  

I think you should make an appointment to see a orthopedic spine specialist or psysiatrist (not psychiatrist).  Hopefully, they will order some tests (X-ray, CT scan, MRI) to get a look at what is possibly going on.  X-rays and CT scans don't always see what is going on as the resolution isn't great (X-rays being the worst).  An MRI of your lumbar spine would definitely show if you have signs of degenerative disc disease.

Please keep us updated on how you are feeling and let us know how things go at the doctors.  I encourage you to become an active of our community as you are always welcome.  

Wishing you the best.

femmy