Pain Management Community

Refill of hydrocodone

Doc gave me a script for 300 pills 5  x a day. First filled the presciption on the 13 th of the month.  At some point I asked the supervisor how soon can I refill and he said the 7th. Along comes the 7 th and he is out the new guy wont fili, 5,days early argues that I have a history of this which is true.  He gives it to me to avoid withdrawals but says only one time etc etc. now it is 30 days since then. Can I refill today, or do I have to wait another 5 days.
Wow, with that much acetaminophen, you should have your liver checked, and probably as soon as you can.
Typically pain meds are only supposed to be filled every 30 days. If your pharmacy is filling your prescriptions before the date on the script they could get in some serious trouble. Your pain doctor has access to when and where you fill your scripts.
Thanks, I do have a liver function tests.
Maybe his pills don't contain acetaminophen. Mine don't.
Wouldn't 300 pills at 5 per day last you 2 months (5x30=150)???
at 67 yrs. old that amount of acetaminophen cannot be good for you!!! So many pills and all the crap that is in them are going thru liver and kidneys and you and something better change soon and you had better demand that it does. Do Not Drink the legal Drug (that kills etc but no script necessary!) Serious --you won't notice and it will creep up on you and kill you---maybe in your sleep but probably choking on you know what. If you are running out??IS it because of pain?Or? Keep posting here the advice (from others not me!)is from experience not from an outdated textbook. OK 67--keep breathing and as an elder share some of your experience with what works for you OK?   Om    don
I thought oxycodone only came without acetaminophen?
Thankyou for your replies. You know before ii got up today I had been thinking the same thing. There are 325 of acetametaphinr in each pill that is over 3000 mg a day. I am going to have a talk with my doctor. Thanks for your advice I am going to take it and start reducing today. I need to deal a little better with this pain without the meds. I am even having wired dreams almost every night probably due to this stuff. I notice if two pills dont work right away I will pop two more. No good
Thank you again, you have scared the you know what out of me.
Maybe ask your doctor for a long acting medication that doesn't have the acetaminophen? It might give you better pain control with out the damage to your liver. Good Luck to you!
Hi there...

I'm afraid your numbers aren't adding up here because it sounds like you are taking 10 of these a day and not 5. You have mentioned having 300 of them for your prescription and in this last post...you are now calculating the acetaminophen to be over 3000 a day. That can only happen if you are taking 10 of them and not 5.
5 times 325 equals 1625
10 times 325 equals 3250

I don't know of any Dr. that prescribes either Norco/Vicodin or even Percocet to be taken more than 8 a day for the max. Even if a prescription is written for 1-2 every 4-6 hours, there is always a maximum that the Dr. has put on this.

You also say in this last post that if two don't work, you "pop" two more. So if you are taking 4 at the same time or within an hour or two...you are actually "abusing" this medication and you need to get a hold of this quickly. This is much more than an acetaminophen issue as I suspect a Dr. has not prescribed you this many and you are either buying all of them or supplementing them off the "street"...

If you don't feel you can be honest on here...I hope that you are honest with yourself as this is going to backfire on you shortly. All it takes is a pill count or a urine test and the Dr. will know that you are taking more of these and this can get you dismissed immediately from pain management and make it where another Dr. will not prescribe opiates to you again.

This would be a bad situation for you so I urge you to look at everything that you are doing and seek out help from a family member and/or a Dr.

Good luck..

it just keeps amazing me how much power the doctors (and their pill-making profit-motive could really care less bosses) have over we who have chronic pain. We have a need and don't they know it. And i do know the dangers involved with prescribing pain medicine---but to avoid giving pills to the few and rare (check the real statistics) dirty bad addicts---they ignore and undertreat or don't treat people with a real and pressing need. Something needs to change for us in chronic pain (and will suffer that for life). Help me out here. there has to be a way?   om     don
Weathergirl21, I was not clear in my first post. I am prescribed 2 pills 5 x a day. I get them from the same pharmacy . I would have no idea how to buy them off the street.  When I say I pop two more I mean that I have not been giving them the respect they need. What I have done now is purchased a pill box and put 8 pills for each day. Even though I am prescribed 10. I understand now that I need to try and control my pain by other means such as diverting my attention elseware and other ways . I had been on oxycodone, morphine and others but am now on these. Oh I fill a seven day box and the rest are locked in a safe that requires my thumprint and my wife's (who has no pity for my complaints) to open. Also these pills or another operation and I can't handle more surgery .thanks for your reply ,you guys

Are great . I needed to hear that I have to take this pill situation more seriously and you good people have provided that advice. btw the manager of the pharmacy gave me my prescription yesterday and aplologized for the way his employee spoke to me , seems like has his own issues.
You are so right, I never thought I would be treated like a drug addict but it is unbelievable.  I had taken my last two pain pills on a Saturday morning a while ago my doctor was away and I figured I could manage with over the counter stuff. By night I was in such agony I started taking tylanol pm and ibuprofen pm trying to handle it. Went to the er and the do there wrote that I was a narcotic overdose . Triied to tell him what I took but showed no interest . They sent me home. When the dry heaves started one of my kids called my doctor, got his back up and he told us to go to another hospital. There they took all kinds of tests ,the doc said iPad overdosed on benadryl , which is bad, they admitted me and put me on an I V . Oh BTW they observed I was in a lot of pain and gave me a shot of morphine. Needless to say I want the first hospital to tell me why they released me.
Thanks for sharing more...It still is quite surprising that your Dr. prescribes the 10 a day. As I mentioned, that is not something that any Dr. that I know does as if a person needs medication for chronic pain and they are using 3-5 over a period of a few months...they are usually moving them to a long acting medication or at least a short acting that doesn't contain acetaminophen.

If I can make another suggestion...you need to speak with your Dr. first before lowering your dosages. If he is expecting you to take 10 every day, then you need to discuss a tapering plan to something that you are more comfortable with. We should never take more or less than prescribed as if he does a urine test on you...you can get booted out for taking less of your meds if you never let the Dr. know. This is another way they would suspect someone was selling the medication...(NOT saying you are doing this at all...just throwing an example out)..

The key is also bringing in your prescription bottle next visit if you are taking less so they can count the pills.

Are you seeing a Pain Management Dr.? If not, then I highly suggest finding one. Either way, with chronic pain...there are dozens of modalities that can help lower our pain to a manageable level (a 5 on the pain scale).

There is daily exercise, physical therapy, acpuncture, massage, ice, heat, TENS unit, aqua therapy, injections, nerve ablation, biofeedback, etc.

And then other medications like a nerve pain med like Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta. And a muscle relaxer like Flexeril, Robaxin, Skelaxin, or Baclofen.

An opiate is not very good at those types of pain so most people are on these types of meds in addition to any opiate they are prescribed.

May I ask what your pain issue is? I have had 3, two-level, cervical fusions and still have severe herniations in my upper thoracic as well as lumbar region. I have a brain tumor wreaking some havoc lately (thankfully they are usually benign), a bad knee that needs surgery, and another Morton's Neuroma in my left foot that has grown back after surgery back in 2004.

My point to sharing all of this is the more modalities I use to help keep my pain level at a 5-7, the less I rely on my opiates to do the work. Each thing takes my pain down a tiny bit to all add up. This is why I haven't had to up my dosage/strength in over 3 years...

The other thing we do is to rotate all my medications so that I don't grow tolerant to them. So have changed around my opiate as well as my muscle relaxer.

Anyway...sorry for rambling....Just trying to share some ideas to help you out and hope that you can work things with your Dr. to find good plan for you!

It is recommeded that we stay at or under 4 grams a day of  acetaminophen. So, if you took 8 pills at 325 mgs. that would be 2.6 grams. If your took 8 pills at 500 mgs. that would be 4 grams.
Hi Weathergirl, sorry for the delay in replying. My pain story is a long one , I started writing about it and just erased it because it was too definitive regarding some bad doctors.  But I have been treated for spinal stenosis , the operation was a failure, I now have a slipped disc, a band of epidural fat around my spine which would be extremely dangerous to operate although I have a surgeon who wants to but I have been advised to pass on it. The PM guy turned out to be involved with the surgeon (who BTW no one is blaming ). My pain is managed by my family doctor, I now am on 8 narcos a day . I did take your advice and checked with the doc and he said good less is better. He also mentioned acupuncture and even message therapy. Basically whatever it takes to keep my mind off the pain.

where do i get all the money$$$ to pay for these wonderful treatments you suggest? i bet wd's are just a little easier if you have $$$$ for acupuncture or massage or treatment "spas" . you know   luxury addicts!!!  again with the poor people.. om
Thanks for the update...Glad you are working with the Dr. and are able to reduce your medication.

To Omhome....Ummm..."luxury addicts"???? I can't say I understand your posts very well as they seem to not really be reading what others write.

Acupuncture is widely accepted now in medicine and many insurance companies will cover this or else a Dr. can offer this at a less expensive cost to those without insurance like myself.

My PM actually does this for free for me as I've been a patient for over 6 years.

Same thing with massage therapy. We are talking physical therapy here...not some "spa" treatment...Obviously you haven't looked into other alternatives for pain management. Again, many insurance companies offer this as part of PT treatment using heat, and ultrasound.

Anyone who is has chronic pain should use every single possible modality to help their pain so that they don't rely so heavily on medications and keep their tolerance level down. As I mentioned, I haven't had to have a med increase in over 3 years.

I also use daily exercise (walking....costs nothing), I do physical therapy that I learned from a PT after my surgery. I use the stretchy bands that are different colors for different levels. These were given to me by the PT but they can be bought for less than $10.

Then there is biofeedback done at home.

And, I have worked with my Dr. and my Pharmacist so that I use all generic medications and the least expensive ones at that. So my 5 medications cost $150 a month. Of course it's a lot more expensive than when someone has insurance but I don't have that "luxury"..lol..right now.

Honablk...I hope that you can continue to work with your Dr. on finding the best comprehensive pain program for you:)

a little about myself weathergirl:  i teach yoga at a health club and in my studio to folks for whatever they can pay---i am 65 and have taught psych at university level and i counsel "poor" addicts for what they can pay and am with a number of groups helping with pain and dependance. I have in depth experience with this problem and have seen the ease with which the people with money can obtainb drs and drugs and treatment when they desire. Don't tell me someone waiting for months to get in a program (30 days at most usually) is given same level of comfort and expertise as those with money. I have seen it and they do get "spa" treatments.
  i read the posts very carefully and try to get at the real core issue for those of us suffering. We may disagree on that but i don't recall me making judgments about your posts----that's not my focus. Please be a little more respectful weathergirl.
    My daughter is dr of chinese medicine and acupuncture and massage person.   As to comprehensive modalities i use all of them including meditation and i taught biofeedback for several yrs.
   please just allow a different viewpoint i think complimentary and at this juncture in the game of  primary importance. My view.  You are welcome to yours and i appreciate the advice you give. I can do without the judgment.
  om      yogadon
I don't know why you keep referring to myself or anyone on here as "addicts". The OP has told us that he is taking the medicine as prescribed by his Dr. so we will take him at his word.

None of us on this particular board are addicted to anything and when I list treatments, it is for those in chronic pain.

Perhaps your views may be better well suited for the actual addiction board they have on here.

So, I was just responding to your post which was criticizing mine as far as mentioning other modalities that people use, in addition to pain medication, to treat their chronic pain.
hey hondablk: ya still there? kinda got lost in the shuffle huh? Sorry about that.  So back to the prescription troubles----try and keep an emergency only (ONLY) supply in case of several day delays. Or even just foul-ups (instead of hurricanes).  And resupply that stash when you have to use it. This may be hard but "just do nit". It can save you some wds. Use as many modalities as you can and i would add some meditation practice to your tool kit. It can help you with your "inner weather" and help relax an overworked "pain" mind.  Remember to take short "breath breaks" too. They help.  How ya doing? Getting a little better at the pm?  I wish you well hondablk----your friend  chevyred!  HA!   om    yogadon
1