Pain Management Community

Rib pain after pregnancy

I developed left sided pain tracking around my lowest rib on my left side immediately after giving birth 3 yrs ago. I have tried everything, and now pain is returning in my left side region. My functioning is impaired with this pain. Details:
MRI negative
PT with Graston technique helpful. Especially on region close to spine.
Severely exacerbated when driving
Mild scoliosis on X-ray not there prior to pregnancy
Became pregnant again in 2013. Pain totally relieved in 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
Also tried acupuncture and chiropractic
Pain is sharp and nagging
Various guesses from MDs and PTs- scar tissue; "scaffolding collapsed" post pregnancy.

Trying to avoid becoming a pain management patient.
Tks.
Hello Holly,

Please excuse my tardy reply. We are rolling out a new MedHelp format and it's been a bit confusing for some of us. It'll be great once it's up and going - anyway sorry I am tardy.

You present a puzzling pain issue - as I am sure the medical providers that you have consulted have told you. I find a real clue in the fact that you had no pain in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of your last pregnancy. I hope it isn't a clue that is being over-looked.

Does that mean that a change in your hormones produces pain relief - if so why? Have you consulted an endocrinologist? I know that may seem strange for pain - but they are the specialists the function of glands in our endocrine system. These glands are located in various parts of our body and secrete different types of hormones for the most part. It may be worth looking into.

I have never heard the term, "scaffolding collapsed" used medically. Obviously there are many things I haven't heard of - can you elaborate a bit on that term? Are they talking soft tissue?

Graston Technique is an instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions - in other words scar tissues (adhesions).  Does this treatment bring you lasting relief - has it reduced your pain - or must you continually return to obtain relief? If so that may mean this is soft tissue pain.

Increased pain when driving suggests that rib area - again maybe soft tissue. I wish I had better answers for you.

I want to tell you that I am a Chronic Pain patient  (CPP) -  and I know a lot of CPPs - mostly from MedHelp's Pain Management (PM) Form. None of us like the fact that our pain is so extreme that we require pain management - some of it with opiates. However when one cannot function without PM you do what you have to do. We all deserve to have as normal of a life as possible. If you too should require PM don't be ashamed of that fact. You will be in good company. We are honest, average ppl that happen to have Chronic Pain.

I wish you the best and hope you will keep in touch. I'll look forward to hearing from you again, soon.

Peace,
~Tuck