Pain Management Community

Side Effects of Pain Management

Question #1. My doctor has me on methadone for severe pain and my other doctor tells me this is why I have Low T. I am on T replacement with injections once a month. Will this cause my testicles to fail to produce T all together? What will my future be like if that happens? I am only 37, and with all the injuries I have my doctor says I will always be on methadone for the rest of my life to handle the pain. I tied to lower my doses but that caused me to stay in bed most days due to the pain. I didn't have much of a life, so I went back to the level my doctor put me on. 120mg/day. What other health problems could a lifetime of this cause?
Question #2 I have low Testosterone. I am on 2 ml injection of 200 mg/ml Cypionate for one year now. Just last week I was tested again very low. 108 ng/dL Normal is 240 to 950 ng/dL I eat very little and I am putting on weight (I am 181 now and my doctor warned me not to gain more because of my weakened femur. It was rebuilt with my tibia... see personal description) Also I am a newly-wed and I have a very low sex drive, (She is sad and thinks that she is not attractive.) I'm tired all the time and depressed. (That could be caused by the pain too) Anyway, What are normal injection levels for most men of my weight? If it is caused by the methadone meds, and I can't lower that, what else can I do? Is there a natural herb or food I could eat to help?
I'm the type of person that never would take even an asprin before this accident, so you can understand why I am reluctant when my doctor wants to add more and more medicines, but at the same time relived to live with less pain and have a better quality of life.
Thank you for your time,
~Roy
Hi Mattison and welcome to the Pain Forum.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems. You have posed some very good questions.  As for your first question, I do not know how Methadone affects the Testosterone...and your Doctor has said it does so you should probably listen to him.

As for the second question, the Men's Health forum might be your best bet. I'm sure that there are others who are suffering the same way in the forum. Don't get me wrong, this is a great forum and many great ppl to help you....especially when it comes to pain.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Others will post as the day goes on so be patient. lease take care and good luck,
Mollyrae