Pain Management Community
9.78k Members
642172 tn?1223654811

TMJ Pain


I have had a TMJ problem for about 4 years now. I have tried Physical Therapy, Mouth Splint, Ibuprofen 800mg's, Massage Therapy, Hot & Cold Packs, and nothing seems to calm the pain.

I have seen a specialist in Boston, MA. and he said he would rather not do surgery. But really when is enough enough? I rarely go through a day without pain. I am 22 years old and my TMJ is destroying my life.

I don't know if anyone has any hints or suggestions or knows where I can find another TMJ specialist in New England. I guess I am willing to try anything.

Thank you!

4 Responses
535089 tn?1400673519
Hello and welcome to MH.

I think for starters you need a good pain regiment. Something to calm the TMJ down. Have you thought about seeing a pain specialist. You might want to talk with your Doctor and get the process started. If you have had the pain that long then I would suggest that you talk with your Doctor about the surgery option.

Take care and good luck in the future,
356518 tn?1322263642
You can Try Robert Rosenbaum on Comm. Ave near Kenmore.
I had this referral from a friend. He takes both dental and regular insurance.

Here is another link also.
Good luck and let me know if you need further help.

Mollyrae has a great suggestion also, get your PCP to refer you to a pain management Dr.
547368 tn?1440541785
Hi Melissa,

I'm glad you found us at the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. Welcome. I have had a few bouts of TMJ in the past, horrid pain and I am very sorry this is happening to you. Pain effects all our lives on this forum and we know what you are going through.

Have you  tried a procedure called Arthrocentesis. They are doing this at Mayo Clinic. It is my guess that other progressive medical providers are also doing this procedure. I would certainly ask who does this in your area and if you are a candidate for the procedure.

Arthrocentesis is the irrigation of the joint. This is the most minimally invasive procedure used to treat TMJ diseases. Because of the low risk and a high success rate, surgeons will typically use this method before exploring more aggressive treatment options, such as open-joint surgery (arthroplasty).

This procedure is typically completed in approximately 15 minutes. Usually performed under either IV sedation or general anesthesia, the surgeon injects the joint with local anesthetic and fluid to flush out inflamed fluids. Steroids may also be injected to help combat any inflammation. Patients are often able to tell whether pain has decreased shortly following the procedure.

This procedure involves minimal risk and is both therapeutic (it can reduce pain and fix the patient's problem) and diagnostic (if the pain does not subside, physicians can use this information to plan continuing treatment).

In the meantime you need better pain control. Discuss your pain and frustration with your PCP. Sometimes it takes an heart to heart with your physician before they understand how you are feeling. I wish you the best of luck with this. Please let us know how you are doing.
Take care, Tuck

642172 tn?1223654811
Thank you everyone for your help!

I am currently living in Vermont awaiting my new insurance -- I can not wait to get it!

I will talk to my new doctor and discuss everything with him/her..haven't found one yet.

thanks again!
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches