What is similar to Fentnal patches?

I am having such a time keeping my patches on, I am on 50mg or whatever its considered...and breakthrough I take Norco 7.5. up to 3 pills a day. What can I replace the patch with? I go to the doctors Wednesday to go over this problem and want to be prepared knowing what I should ask for. Thanks for any help.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have you tried paper tape to keep the Patches in place. I have to use this system as they tend to fall off of me too. The paper tape will still let the skin breath so it is very safe. If you choose not to use the tape then I would suggest going to either the Methadone or Morphine. Give these suggestions to your Doctor.

I will tell you that Fentanyl is one of the strongest medications out on the market and to replace it is going to be hard. With your body being used to the Fentanyl, other opiates will not compare. I'm sorry that your having such a hard time. Think about using the tape.

Molly
Helpful - 0
i know where u r coming from...i was having the same problem and got tired of dealing with it all the time.  so the doctor put me on the equilvelent amount of morphine er tabs 4x's day.  and it worked about the same..........good luck!
Helpful - 0
you shouldn't have too much trouble with the 50mcg patch. they are only half the size of the 100 and much easier to apply.
Mollys idea works for most people but if not you could try wearing the patch in different locations until you find one that works for you.
also be very careful when applying it. make sure your skin is completely dry and that you put it on a bit of skin that doesn't twist around too much.
Helpful - 0
It won't be hard because different opiates won't have the same interaction. If they switch him to Oxycontin and he's never taken it, it should work fine.
Helpful - 0
I had the same problem with the patches and my pain dr. switched me to a medicine called AVINZA.  I went from 150 mcg of fentanyl to to 90 mg Avinza's  a day and liked the Avinza so much better.  Avinza is basically 24 hour time release Morphine.  I take two 90 mgs caps every morning. And it keeps me from going into wds and gives a good base of coverage.. way way better than I had for the year I was on the patches.  They are expensive is the only drawback I see (other than the basic opiate dependence problem)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community