Pain Management Community

abdominal pain

I have been having upper left abdominal pain for the last 5 days. Ive had this pain before, but only for minutes  then gone.  This pain also moves to the back directly behind the pain in front. When the pain occurs the area gets warm to the touch and very hard and raised . The raised area is about as big as baseball. 3-4 on pain scale.36 year old man,  7-8 years ago i passed kidney stones,  but none of the pain is the same. I am not sure what triggered  this before, but it seemed to happen when i would bend  to the left  and smash the area like a crunch or eat a heavy meal . any ideas
There are no doctors on this forum; just chronic pain patients with a lot of different types of pain but also a lot of knowledge.  So, whatever information you get, is based on other people's experiences, and isn't to be taken as medical advice.  But welcome.  It's a great forum for support and ideas.

From what you're describing, it sounds sort of like your gallbladder, though the warm, hard raised area I don't recall, but everyone is different.  You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible.  In the meantime, try to eat bland foods.  Gallbladder attacks often occur after heavy or rich meals.  Stick with turkey, no mayo, yogurt ... probably the blander the better.

Have you taken any OTC pain meds and did it help?

Gallbladder and kidney stones would probably produce different types of pain.  I think first thing in the morning you should make the appointment, even if you're not having the pain at the moment.  Try to write down when it happened, what the pain scale was, and what  you were doing at the onset of it, and also if you had anything to eat and, if so, what.

If the pain gets worse during the night, don't hesitate to go to the ER and I wouldn't suggest driving yourself as the pain can become very severe.  If you have no one to drive you, call an ambulance.

Gallstone pain can come and go for many months until it gets extremely painful if they try to pass.  It's a better idea to take care of it before you get to that point.

Of course, it could be something else entirely, but from what you describe, that's the first thing that comes to mind.  Maybe others will come on with different ideas.

But whatever it is, it needs to be evaluated sooner rather than later.
I agree with mellie that you need to see your doctor.  Your body is trying to tell you something is wrong, and you need a doctor to examine and diagnose the problem.

Mellie also gave you some great suggestions that will help your doctor reach a diagnosis.  Pay attention to your symptoms and try to see a pattern.  What pains the pain better or worse?  Do you take any medications including over-the-counter or herbal remedies?  Do you drink alcohol (that can really mess up your pancreas which is in the upper left abdominal quadrant)?  Have you ever had abdominal surgery?  This is the kind of information that will help your doctor, and having the answers readily available will help speed the diagnostic process.  Best of luck to you, and make that appointment!