Pain Management Community

alternative pain medication for Fibromyalgia

About Two years ago I started feeling sick.  I had pain in every joint and muscle. At first I didn't really think about it, but the pain got worse and worse over the next week or so.  I went to my Doctor to see if she could figure out what was causing this pain.  She did a few things in her office and said that i had Fibromyalgia(keep in mind that she never took blood at that point).  She then gave me a prescription for OxyContin 20mgs three times a day and 15mgs of OxyCodone immmediate release for breakthrough pain. After that, she did some blood work and said everyhting was fine.  to make a long story short, she upped my dosage to 40mgs of OxyContin three times daily and 30mgs of Oxycodone for breakthrough pain.  Since she never seemed to follow up on anything, I just swithched Doctor's and my new Doctor seems to know what he is talking about.  The new Doc. drew blood and did some other tests.  The blood work came back fine, so he too believes that I probably have Fibromyalgia, but he is sending me to a Rheumatoligist too.  I told him that i did not want to be on Oxycontin anymore, so he is trying to ween me off by lowering my dosage.  My REAL question is, if anyone knows of any other ways to help get me through the withdraw.  I have been in so much pain since he cut my dosage down, and i can't live this way forever. There has to be alternative medicine?  I am a 25 year old guy who feels like he is 85. Please help me, I woiuld really appreciate it.  
I applaud you for trying to wean off the oxy, but you really should be under the care of a Pain Management specialist.  There are drugs that can help greatly with withdrawal symptoms, but you still need to have your pain managed.  If narcotics help your pain, no need to feel guilty about taking them as long as you take them as prescribed.
I have the same exact thing as you. I am still in bad shape but I am better than I use to be. I decied to go on a lower pain killer and just try to go through it. Any strong pain killer will have bad effects.
To help with the pain this breathing alternative will be useful. You are right that one cannot depend on pain killers long term. One needs to help the body to fight and that can be done by having extra oxygen in the blood by breathing.
Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 15 minutes. Maximum 3 times day.
--
I will suggest another technique after you have done this for 2 weeks.
I have the worst case of hep c and fibromyalgia possible, every time I take a pain pill it burns out my liver, they took out my gallbladder and every medication burns my liver I am in true hell, I think of suicide hourly and have a plan if i can not get help have not been out of severe pain in 6 months since the gallbladder came out.I can not go to the bathroom either without enemas daily all i get atr toxins doctors want me to take more pills, mt ggt raised 6 times normal after the operation. I can not funtion or think past the pain i spend 21 hour a day in bed crying and moning, going crazy i can not handle my bills or hygiene, I just want one hour of relief, i sleep 3 hours a night at most dramatic nightmares, and migraine headaches, can not watch tv or read, something went wrong with this operation all docs are playing possum I am depressed well who would not be i lost 40 lbs since june 06 all muscle gone I can not walk I will be a warde of the state as i can not work, i sit in a dark room waiting
till the day I go thru with nmy plan and I love life but
not in this painfull way. still around gar bear.
OMG, I am so sorry to hear your story. What hits me most is it sounds so much like mine, only I do not have hep C. Instead I have fibromyalgia that is progressing, I also have a pituitary tumor, cushings disease, arnold chiari malformation, and bipolar/anxiety disorder.

I too live in pure hell day in and day out. I just turned 28 last week, and I feel like my life has been ripped right out from under me. I am on so many different meds and they change off and on just to keep the right combination to try to control the pain so that I can try to have a little bit of a life. Well its not working very well. Right now there is something wrong with my back, I will find out what it is friday, I am pretty sure its a pinched nerve or sciatica related though. It hurts like hell and its been around a 7.5-9 on a 1-10 pain scale for the last month or so. Its really getting to be quite unbearable.

So I know exactly how you are feeling. I mean what can you do? NOthing, we just have to find a way to deal with it, and to be honest there have been times when I have thought that just ending my life would be easiest. Then I would not be in pain anymore and I would not be such a burden on my family, well I feel like I am anyways. The thing that really keeps me going are my 2 children and my husband. I love them so much, and even though I can not do the things I used to be able to do, they still love me too, and I know that they would be devistated if I left them like that.

So as hard as it is to deal with the pain, just think about everyone else you would be effecting if you took your own life. I am sure you would devistate someone.
Just try to hang in there please. If you need someone to talk to you can email me anytime. My email addy is my med help name  at yahoo.com.

By the way...HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!! :)