Pain Management Community
9.76k Members
Avatar universal


i have the feeling that there is something in my throat.it doesnt hurt when i swollow,eat or drink and ive had this for more then 3months now.ive been to my dr who put me on a weeks worth of anibiotics(cefaclor)i tablet3x a day which done nothing as i still have the same sensation.i am also on omeprazole as ive been experiencing some upper stomach burning sensations that rise up into my chest throat area.i have a persistant sore middle back that radiates around to my chest area.i also have sore left armpit sometimes and have been told i have 3 enlarged lymohnodes there,i also get aching in my right armpit and left groin area.my dr said i have an infection somewhere but he doesnt know where and im starting to think hes sick of me as he rushes me in and out of his office when im there!i just want to get to the bottom of this as its starting to wear me out!!i have had a head ct scan,a chest xray,2back xrays,an upper abdominal ultra sound,a sigmoidoscopy,a left breast ultrasound,cbc and standard blood tests,urine test..i feel like a in cushion!!im findng that in developing some anxiety too ove rmy health,can someone please give me some help/advice...much appreciated.
4 Responses
1324871 tn?1288985306
I am so sorry that you are having such a bad time of it .It is so difficult when you know something is wrong but not what. I hope you will get a diagnosis soon .I know how hard it is when you don't know what is wrong..It does stress you out and causes a lot of anxiety. By the way welcome to this forum ! There are some of the nicest people on here .Everyone is so supportive and a lot of members are  very knowledgable .It is late but I bet tommorrow a lot of others will post .We are all chronic pain patients so we all  can relate to what you are going through. Thats the pits the way your Dr  is treating you .I have been there so I know how you feel .I found me a new Dr right away That would be something to consider if you are not happy with your treatment .Or maybe you could get him to refer you to a specialist . I pray that  you will get to feeling better and find out what is going on .If you know exactly what you are facing I think it makes it a lot easier.Take care and God bless Melissa
Avatar universal
Sounds like you may need an MRI scan of your organs.  It may be helpful to see a gastrointestinal specialist.  I have no idea what it could be but there are a lot of knowlegable people around here who be able to help you out.

I truly hope you get to the bottom of it soon!
Avatar universal
Did your blood work show anything?  

First, in my opinion, you need to find a new primary care doctor.  They are our first line of defense in health care.  Without an excellent PCP, it's like trying to navigate an ocean of specialists without any idea how to get there and which ones to see.  Having a good relationship with your PCP is essential.  If you see them and they can't figure it out within a couple of weeks, they need to refer you to the proper specialist.

In your case, you have several things going on; so it's hard to know where to go.  I would suggest seeing an ear, nose and throat specialist about the throat issue.  Lots of times scar tissue can build up in your esophagus due to acid reflux.  Some people don't even realize they have acid reflux until they experience trouble with their throat.  Scar tissue can be easily taken care of with a minor surgical procedure.  I have three friends who've had that done in the last four years.

If it were me, I think I'd also see a hematologist to look at your blood more closely.  Enlarged lymph nodes aren't normal and can be caused by a whole range of things.  More specific blood tests may lead you to a diagnosis.

My son (when he was 5) had some similar symptoms that you have.  He complained of a sensation of something in his throat and was afraid to eat.  He also had some enlarged lymph nodes, one in a very strange place, that caused great concern to his pediatrician.  We went to an oncologist/hematologist where they did extensive blood work.  Turns out he had mono, though he didn't have some of the typical symptoms of it.  (And it's also unusual for a 5-year old to get mono.)  We ended up treating it with some Vitamin C therapy (per the hem/onc doctor) and time and rest.  It took quite a while for him to recover.  They also mentioned that sometimes lymph nodes may remain enlarged due to scarring from the infection.  One of his is still enlarged (he's now nearly 11.)

Maybe you can ask your PCP for several referrals.  Good starting points might be a GI specialist, hematologist and/or an ENT.  Good luck.  Searching for a diagnosis is so frustrating and it's really easy to develop severe anxiety over it.  Hope you'll let us know what's going on.
1187071 tn?1279373298
I agree you need to find a new dr that will spend the time with you that you need. You don't need a dr that will just rush you thru your appt and then you are still left without any answers. The best thing to do is ask around to see if your friends have a good dr and try to get into see them so you can find out what is going on so you don't have to worry about this anymore. The worse pain is the pain that you have no clue why it is happening.
Best of luck to you
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473362051
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches