Pain Management Community

complex regional pain syndrome-type 1 or RSD (please please READ)

I had shoulder surgery in decemeber and with that i had a pain sheath catheter in place. The first catheter did not work and the MDA wanted to replace it after surgery.  He tried to remove the first catheter but was unable. He then placed a second one and told me that I'd have to go see a different MDA to have them both taken out. I made it to 2nd day post op and was in terrible pain and pump wasn't relieving much pain.  Come to find out the first catheter was knotted inside and thats why he couldn't get it out. AFter they realized they weren't getting it out the "normal" way I Had to have it cut out of me. It was a huge knot.

Since all of this I"ve been dealing iwth Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy also called complex regional pain syndrome- type 1 in that arm.  I have had 3 stellate ganglion blocks and 3 axillary blocks to help. this is the first week without a block and i'm hurting really bad. it feels like my arm is on fire.  it comes and goes but i don't know what to do.

i'm on gabapentin , nortriptylene, and fosamx as prescribed by the pain management doc. i don't see him for another week and a half as he's on vacation.  is there anything else out there besides meds to try to make this go away. i want my life back! i should have just lived with a bad shoulder if I knew this was going to happen. I've also been using a tens unit and doing desensitization therapy.

i've read a little about nerve stimulators permanently being in place?

please if anyone has any input or ideas or been through this please msg me or reply to this...

Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering so much. You appear to be in the first stage of  complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS). In this stage there is intense burning pain. This is followed by stage 2 and 3 wherein skin changes and muscle wasting etc sets in. Usually this stage is manageable by steroids, pain killers, spinal cord stimulators, intrathecal drug pumps etc. A very important component of treatment is occupational and physical therapy. This along with cognitive behavior therapy teaches you ways to manage this pain.
Along with this, cool moist drapes over the affected areas help bring temporary relief to burning. High dose steroids are often very helpful in controlling the inflammation and thus reducing the pain. Vitamin D you are already taking. Along with this vitamin B12 supplementation may also help. Please try physical therapy and cool moist drapes until you cans see your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.