Pain Management Community

correlation of myofascial pain syndrome, migraines, and facial pain

I suffer from chronic facial pain that I can only describe as an ice cream headache in my face that won't go away. I went to the ED for a migraine and facial pain and the migraine meds didn't touch the pain. I was told I had trigger points on the left side of my face that was referrring the pain the to my face. The trigger points are coming from my cervical region. I also have a fusion from C5-7 with pseudoarthrosis at C7 and thoracic scoliosis. I would like to know my various treatment options are at this point. I also have tried and failed  a series of 3 Botox injections for Chronic daily headaches and migraines. Has anyone else have this and if so, what has worked for you?
Facial pain rarely comes from spinal nerves (like C5-C6), but from the Cranial nerves, specifically, the trigeminal nerve, or Cranial Nerve V.

Please view this information about cranial nerves:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/cranial.html

Of course, it is wise to have a follow up on any reports of cervical nerve root impingement.

I suggest that you consult with an interventional spine and pain doctor, trained in using non-surgical techniques to treat pain.