Pain Management Community

cymbalta for nerve pain

Does anybody out there have any experience using Cymbalta for nerve pain???
Hi Trish:  I use Cymbalta for abdomen, neck and hand pain and Fibromyalgia.  It does a good job for me.  There are some unpleasant side effects such as nausea and being light headed upon standing being the worst for me.

I tried Neurontin and Lyrica.  I couldn't take the side effects from either of those two.

I've experienced life without Cymbalta.  Without it my pains levels are considerably higher.  My mood is much better on it.  All in all, it's well worth the unpleasant side effects for me.

Whether or not you decide to try Cymbalta is strictly between you and your doctor.  In my case, well worth it.

I  hope you find relief soon.
My doctor had prescribed me Cymbalta for nerve pain, as I suffer with Degenerative Disk Disease and Sciatica.  I found it helped a bit, but haven't taken it since the end of 2008, as I got pregnant.  I found that it made me a bit tired in the beginning, but my body soon adjusted.  If I recall, it took about 3 weeks before it was really noticeable as effective.
Good luck with it.
In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Down syndrome Community Leader
& Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Hi Trish,

I think that I have discussed this before with you. As I said I have taken Cymbalta before and did not not any difference in my sciatica. It may have been because I did not give it enough time to be effective.

Everyone responds differently to medications.If your physician is recommending a trial of Cymbalta I would certainly give it some serious consideration. It could be very effective for you as it is for others like Sarajmt. If you notice side effects that do not resolve or are not tolerable you can always consult with your physician and stop (with his approval) the medication. I have always tried everything my physician has recommended. But these are decisions that no one can make for us.

As Sandi (Dragon 1973) said and is always the case on this forum you should consult with your physician. I find that gathering and sharing opinions from ppl who have been there is extremely helpful for me....and thus this forum and other forums on Medhelp were founded in part on that concept. In my opinion you are going about your decision process in the correct way, through education and information gathering.

I wish you the best in your decision process. I am hopeful that you will share your experience with us should you and your physician decide that Cymbalta deserves a trial. We will look forward to your updates.

Peace,
~Tuck
Thank you all who responded to my Cymbalta query. It's good to know that people do have success with this drug.
I guess the biggest fear after surfing the net in the past was that even if one tolerates the side effects, it stops working after 3 or so months and then it's hell to get off.
I see my pain guy on May 28th, so I'll let you all know what has been decided. I'm seriously considering this drug as an option.
Cheers,
Trish
I am glad that you are considering it. Cymbalta should not be "hell" to quit, certainly not like an opiate. And you will know fairly soon what if any side effects come with the use of it. Most will dissipate in a few weeks. I was lucky. I did not have a real side effects. I just didn't like not "feeling."

You should not build a tolerance to Cymbalta or any similar medication any time soon if at all. It may take some time to find the right dose for you but that is fairly normal with any medication.

Good Luck to You,
~Tuck
  I have been on Cymbalta for about 2 years.  I wish I had never started.  First of all the price went up to $267. for a 30 day supply.  Once you start the drug, you can never be taken off.  This came from my shrinks office.  I have tried to ween byself off but by the 2nd day, I want to leave this earth and I start crying for no apparent reason. I end up going back on it or go to the Crisis Center.  It is not worth it to me when I know there are other drugs that can be just as helpful but without the terrible withdrawls.  My advice go on something that wont cause suicidal thoughts!  I know everyone is different, but had I been told from the beginning that I would have these reactions or that I could never go off I would have never started.  Yes it helps but at what cost.