MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Avatar universal

dr is cutting me down

My doctor has decided I need to try going without pain meds (hydrocodone, 10mg 4x  a day).  She is properly titrating me down but I am in total disagreement with this decision.  Before hydrocodone I was in the ER everyother week and missing work constantly.  I finally have a job where I feel secure and I can function.  I realize my options with her are gone, she has given into the fear of prescribing opiates.  But what do I do now?  I have tried other pain management clinics and they are all afraid as well, even tough I have extensive documentation of my disease (endometriosis).  So I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but what I need is the NAME of a pain doctor that will even consider continuing my meds.  I live in NY.  Like I said, I have all my documentation and have done the local shopping around.  If anyone knows anything please help.  I also have good insurance so that is not an issue.

I like this forum and think you are doing a good job.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
I had endometriosis when I was younger and it was such excruciating pain.
Have you tried any thing like laser surgery? That was not available when I had it but I wish it had been because I ended up having to get a hysterectomy.
Have you talked to your gynecologist about what your pain Dr is wanting to do? I'm sure your gynecologist understands the pain much better than your pain Dr does. Maybe the two of them can work together on a pain treatment plan for you?
I'm so sorry you're going through this. You've found something that helps your pain and now your Dr is wanting to take it away. That makes no sense because with this kind of pain you will most likely spend more time on the couch or in bed because you won't be able to function as well.
Philnoir gave you excellent advice. If I were you I would get started on all of this tomorrow.
Helpful - 0
7721494 tn?1431627964
If your doc no longer wishes to write for you, maybe she can suggest a pain doctor in the area who will?

Does your state have a Pain Society? This is a group of doctors who practice pain medicine. Contact the pain society for a list of doctors in your area who practice medication management. Or try a local university hospital with an anesthesiology residency. Chances are they also have a pain management program.

Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community

Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches