Avatar universal

hip joint burning

I have a very high level of pain ...in the joint of my hip...or ..the joint on the right side of my body  that 'joins' the top of the leg to the base of my body.
What causes this..arthritis ?  Is there any kind of 'injection' I could get for the pain directly in the joint area ?
While I am here on my left side...I only have this pain when I lie down on my left side.....What causes a pulse like pain that kind of travels that leg ?  It does not feel like sciatica(excuse spelling please)pain that I have on the right side....which pretty much is with me 24/7.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
547368 tn?1440541785
Hell Btdawgh,

Welcome to our community at MedHelp. Please let me apologize for missing your post yesterday. I don't know how that happened. I am very sorry. And I am even sorrier that you are having hip pain. It can be so annoying to put it nicely.

The pain you describe sounds exactly like a bursitis. The main symptom of hip bursitis is pain at the point of the hip. The pain usually extends to the outside of the thigh area. In the early stages, the pain is usually described as sharp and intense. Later, it may feel more achy and spread out.

Bursitis is caused by inflammation of a bursa, a small jelly-like sac that usually contains a small amount of fluid. Bursae are located throughout the body, most importantly around the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and heel. They act as cushions between bones and the overlying soft tissues, and help reduce friction between the gliding muscles and the bone.

The bony point of the hip is called the greater trochanter. It is an attachment point for muscles that move the hip joint. The trochanter has a fairly large bursa overlying it that occasionally becomes irritated, resulting in hip bursitis. The medical term is trochanteric bursitis.

Actually the hip (trochanter) is the largest bursa of the body. It can be extremely painful. It is easily treated if rest, ice, NSAID's and the usual does not alleviate the pain. Steroid injections has relieved my bursitis pain the 2 times that I have had to have them.

I may be wrong in my conclusion. I am not a physican. I would consult with my PCP who may refer you on to an orthopedist. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. Take care, Tuck

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I just returned from Rheumatology and was relieved to find not RA but rather general osteo arthrosis and bursitis in  hips and knees. I was given steroid injection in both hips and woowee does it feel better, the knee not so much yet, but the hip is better than its been in months!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have had burning joint hip pain which goes into my back. Everytime I go to the doctors they say its just part of my Fibromyalgia but I know how that pain is and the pain I have now is prohibiting me from working because of the extreme pain. The doctor took some blood test such as sedimentation Rate and c reactive protein and they were normal I just don't understand how can it be normal when I hurt so bad?

Thanks, Jill Longbella

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community

Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches